• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use the feature “Master Pages” when creating “Running headers”?

Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to apply one and the same “Running Header” on all pages on the left side in a book. While all pages on the right side of the same book needs different “Running headers” based on the chapters name.

Can someone please show me step by step video shot by screen recording, on how to exactly do this in a quick way? I would be very glad.

My name is Modassir, and I will appreciate it very much of your kind help...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

I don't have the time to create a video, but here are some basic tips:

For the header that is the same on all pages, just put that header on the left side of the Master spread.

For the other side, Give your chapter name text a unique style name, and then under Type > Text Variables > Define, choose Running Header and use Edit to define the paragraph style that your header will read. (for this to work, ONLY your chapter names can be set to this style)

Screenshot 2017-01-17 11.54.06.png

Then - under Type you can use Insert Variable to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is on every page the same text then it is a static text, just make a text frame on the left master and write the text you want to have and apply this master on the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given your phrasing I would say that Willi Adelberger has provided the correct answer. Unless you are asking how to do running headers based on the Chapters Name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the time to create a video, but here are some basic tips:

For the header that is the same on all pages, just put that header on the left side of the Master spread.

For the other side, Give your chapter name text a unique style name, and then under Type > Text Variables > Define, choose Running Header and use Edit to define the paragraph style that your header will read. (for this to work, ONLY your chapter names can be set to this style)

Screenshot 2017-01-17 11.54.06.png

Then - under Type you can use Insert Variable to place your header ..  it will look like the right-hand image, and can be styled any way you'd like.

Screenshot 2017-01-17 11.54.55.png  Screenshot 2017-01-17 11.58.48.png

On your document pages, it will pick up the text from the Styled chapter heading on the same or previous pages until it encounters a new piece of text that uses that style.

Screenshot 2017-01-17 11.59.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for writing it out. Some people don't have time to watch a video. So we both have it covered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines