Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating thumbnails for user presets

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'd like to display my custom presets (in the FX window) with thumbnails/icons instead of text, is this at all possible?

Greets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

When animation presets were first introduced there was a system available so you could create your own thumbnails but it was cumbersome and a little crazy to use. The functionality was dropped. Your only option is to use scripting and create your own interface.

I have over 200 animation presets for 2D and 3D motion that rely on in and out points of layers to control motion. I created an alias in my standard user presets folder that points to dropbox so I can get to these from any computer at any

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing like showing thumbnails in the effects & presets window. If at all you can only see them in Bridge, but this functionality is broken. So no, can't do.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I did not actually mean the Effects & Presets window, but I meant the Effect Control Panel. So the images would act as buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is still no. The only way to do that would be to program your own custom UI control and preset system.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When animation presets were first introduced there was a system available so you could create your own thumbnails but it was cumbersome and a little crazy to use. The functionality was dropped. Your only option is to use scripting and create your own interface.

I have over 200 animation presets for 2D and 3D motion that rely on in and out points of layers to control motion. I created an alias in my standard user presets folder that points to dropbox so I can get to these from any computer at any time and they always stay updated. I keep track of them by careful file naming and sub folders. That's the easiest way to do it for me. Maybe, one day, I'll take all of those presets and write a script that turns the whole thing into something that I can sell, but for now, a descriptive file name and a decent folder structure is all that is required for me to find exactly what I want in a couple of seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps a workaround is to render low resolution sample movies (320x180 or smaller) that show what each of your custom presets does.  Then store them in an easy to access location on your drive for quick review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines