Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW FIX AND SOFTEN A SHADE?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!

I am trying to FIX and smudge a shade/shadow, could tell me a good technique to do so.

I attached two screenshots, the red graph has the shade/shadow that should be corrected like the beige graphic

IMG_6131.JPG

Those shaded in the red graph edges must be corrected similarly like this in beige graphics

IMG_6132.JPG

Thank you!, hope you can help me

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure how this thread got so far down the page unanswered!

Make a selection of the marble.  The Pen tool would be best, but use the Lasso tool if you are more comfortable with it.

If you used the Pen tool, make the path a selection (Red arrow) and copy to a new layer.

Make the path a selection again, and add a layer mask to the copied layer (Green arrow).

Unlink the layer mask by clicking on the chain icon (Cyan arrow)  Note it is already turned off in my screen shot.

Use Free Transform (Ctrl t) and drag up the copied marble so that the current shadow is hidden behind the layer mask.

\

Add a new layer, and paint a full hard black brush stroke across the screen.  Touch down at one end.  Hold down the shift key and touch down at the other end.

Repeat the previous steps to add a layer mask to the bush stroke, and unlink the layer mask

Make sure you have the layer, and not the layer mask selected (of the black line layer), and apply Gaussian blur.  I used a value of 10.

Reduce the layer opacity to suite.  Mine is set to 25%

Move the black line up or down to position it where you want it. (Note:  with the layer mask unlinked, the line will only show below the grey bezel.

I think you only asked about the lighter coloured marble.  The reddish marble above the bezel is more complicated, but I'll post this and cover that in a new post.  Note I have not worked out how to do it yet 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood the question differently.  How to make red marble shadows look like beige marble shadows?  Maybe that's why it went unanswered for so long.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

I understood the question differently. How to make red marble shadows look like beige marble shadows? Maybe that's why it went unanswered for so long.

Nancy

Nancy you are probably right.  I spent an hour on the phone part way through my second post which 'might' cover the red marble shadow for the OP.  I have to go do my shift at Citizens Advice now, and am unlikely to be back at my computer for another ten hours, so over to someone else (if Jaime gets back to us).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the red marble is playing nicely, so not as difficult as I thought it might be.

This time you absolutely have to use the pen tool to select the marble. Use nice long handles to help keep the curve smooth. Repeat the process in the last post to copy the path as a selection to a new layer.

Lock the new layer's opacity (green highlight)

Hit the Q key to turn on Quick Mask, and with a black pain brush, paint of the existing shadow.  Use the Touch down one end, and shift touch down at the other to keep it tidy.

Note I prefer to have Quick Mask set to have 'Color Indicates Selected Areas'.  Double click the QM icon to change this.

Turn off Quick Mask (hit the Q key) and you will be left with the shadow area selected.

Now use Content Aware Fill (F5) to remove the existing shadow.

Repeat previous steps to add a new shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I have selected the shadow, I do not understand how to use it as a shadow behind the mask layer and those black borders can not be marked, I'm not understanding this part, starting from the point well: Use Free Transform (Ctrl t) and drag up the copied marble so that the current shadow is hidden behind the mask layer. Add anew layer, and paint to full hard black brush stroke across the screen. Touch down at one end. Hold down the shift key and touch down at the other end.

Repeat the previous steps to add a layer mask to the bush stroke, and unlink the layer mask.

Would you show me step by step that part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaimeclaure wrote:

Once I have selected the shadow, I do not understand how to use it as a shadow behind the mask layer

Let's say we have made a selection around the marble including the too dark shadow, and copied that selection to a new layer.  (I'm only showing the new layer here for the sake of clarity.)

Ctrl clicking the layer will load it as a selection

After which clicking on the layer mask icon will add a layer mask that matches that selection

At this stage, the link between the layer thumbnail and the layer mask is still showing, so if we Free Transform that layer, the mask and layer contents change size together, like this, and we can still see the shadow

Now the link has been clicked to turn it off. Note that in the screen shot above, the layer mask has a white border, whereas below, it is the layer that has the white border.  That means that the layer has focus, and not the layer mask.

So when we use Free Transform to expand the layer, the layer mask stays the same size, and the shadow becomes hidden behind the layer mask. This is just one method to remove the current shadow so that we can add a new softer more translucent shadow.

Let's look at another method.  Note that there is no layer mask this time, because we won't need it for this method.  Note also that I have locked the layer transparency (green highlight) because we don't want our edits to stray into that area.

I've used the rectangular Marquee tool to select an area inside the shadowed border.  If you don't get this quite right, you can modify the selection using Transform Selection from the Select menu.

Now we need to invert that selection either from the Select menu, or with the shortcut (Shift Ctrl I)

So we now have the shadow that we want to get rid of selected.  Back up the thread, I used Content Aware Fill to do that.  Shift F5 opens the Edit > Fill dialog.  If it does not already show Content Aware, use the drop down, and select it.  You can see below it as done a pretty good job.  Easily good enough for you to now add a new lighter shadow.

Does this make sense for you?  Ask about specific steps if unsure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CAN'T GET EQUAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if I can upload and share file could you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

graphic attached:  https://we.tl/mp1QQUTUSJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines