• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Endeavors To Create A Brush Manager.

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a few weeks ago I've undertaken the endeavor of creating a proper brush manager.

Of course, some time into it I've discovered MagicSquire and BrushBox, each of which would have been great as they are for my needs, but since I'm already quite far along, I might as well finish making my own.

It looks like this currently:

NB_09.png

I've decided to store the brushes as Tool Presets because (I assumed) Tool Presets would have unique names and I wouldn't have a problem selecting them, as well as possibly adding other types of tools to the manager later.

The thumbnail generation is done by creating a document of the appropriate size, creating a curve or curve point, and stroking them.

I'm pretty happy with the result, but I'm not happy with Photoshop displaying the process and would have preferred to just have a loading cursor.

An object called viewlessDocument has been mentioned around, but it seems like it's only useful for reading data from a document, and not manipulating its contents..

Brushbox seems to load its thumbnails very quickly and I'm assuming it either has direct access to Photoshop's brush thumbnails/sample data, or is reading it from a file using knowledge of the ABR/TPL file formats.

But it doesn't seem to have the ability to display stroke previews on a line which would require active generation.

I generate the Tool Presets from Brush Presets by dragging the Brush Preset onto my panel, which gives me the brush data.

I wanted to do the same with the Tool Presets, so I could just have my button point to an existing Tool Preset, but alas, drag and drop from the Tool Presets panel doesn't register anything on the panels onDrop event.

Alternatively, I wanted to create a button that you could click, which would return the currently selected Tool Preset, but alas, unlike the Brush Presets, there doesn't seem to be a way to retrieve the currently selected Tool Preset.

So my third option was just to create a new tool based on whatever my brush is currently set to.

Now I've come to adding functionality for loading ABRs and TPLs directly into my panel.

ABRs were easy since it's just loading the ABR into my Brush Presets, figuring out which ones are new based on comparing a before and after of the list length, creating a Tool Preset for each, and deleting the Brush Presets.

Now I've come to dealing with TPLs and it's more of an issue.

Apparently Tools don't actually have unique names, they only encourage you to make one when you create a tool, but you can still rename it to become a duplicate, and importing a TPL can also add duplicates.

Additionally, I wasn't able to figure out a way to select a Tool Preset by index, and it appears indices seem to change in relation to Tool Preset names.

So as opposed to the Brush Presets, which appends brushes to the end of the list, appending a TPL would distribute it inside the list, and since names are not unique I might point to the wrong tool with a duplicate name.

So I figured my best course of action now would be as follows:

Save and clear current Tool Presets.

Load the TPL.

Convert the Tool Presets to brushes.

Load the original Tool Presets.

Convert the new Brush Presets to Tool Presets once more (with my consistent naming convention)

Delete the new Brush Presets.

So that's about it, my story of frustration with Photoshop Scripting/Extensions so far.

More, no doubt, to come.

As for the extension itself, as I'm working on it on my employer's time (though not part of my regular job description) it's up to them on how it's going to be released, but it's likely it will be free (probably as in beer, rather than as in speech).

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might offer to solve any of my, err, challenges.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have seen tools on the web and I also see grutbrushesphotoshop plugin

You

I've decided to store the brushes as Tool Presets because (I assumed) Tool Presets would have unique names and I wouldn't have a problem selecting them, as well as possibly adding other types of tools to the manager later.

So I figured my best course of action now would be as follows:

Save and clear current Tool Presets.

Load the TPL.

Convert the Tool Presets to brushes.

Load the original Tool Presets.

Convert the new Brush Presets to Tool Presets once more

Delete the new Brush Presets.

The best laid plains of mice and man do not always hold up.

I'm not an Artiest so all that I'm about to  write is all  from my butt

All I know about the traditional artiest work-flow is from TV and Movies

TV artist Jon Nagy, Bob Ross

Movies Renaissance men Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni etc

I know nothing about the digital artiest work-flows all I have watch are some speed painting.

I realize that art takes longer to do then TV shows, movies and video.  True art takes time practice and talent. Some will argue that Pablo Picasso could draw a line and it is art. How long and how much practicing went into learning to envision and draw the line.

All I know for sure is Artiest work in their studio and in the filed.  Each has their work-flow, their collections of tools and supplies, and their preferred styles of Art.

Artiest have their workspaces their home studio workspace and their mobile workspace and they need to work efficiently in each. In their studio they have all the tools they need but they have so many they need to organise their tools for the work at hand.  They do not have a single setup there. In their mobile studio they need to bring with them the essential. They may have several setup to use these essentials for different types of work.

The mobile studio is a good workspace to start working on.  You will the have a good foundation to build your home studio on.

Being your here Photoshop is one of your tools.  Photoshop is a great tool IMO it may not always be the best tool for the work at hand.  What you seem to be struggling with is that Photoshop has so MUCH STUFF. How do you develop an efficient smooth work-flow how do you do Bob Ross.

I feel Tool Presets are one of your greatest assists. However, you do not convert Tool Presets to Brushes.  You will more likely make Tool Preset  by selecting a Brush Presets then setting up that brush the way you want to use it and save your Tool Preset.  Photoshop's Tool option bar, Brush Palette and Brush Preset Palette are where you change brushes and settings.   You use Tool Presets to select Bushes setup the way you want to start using them.  For Fast access.  You do not need thumbnails for them you need quick access. The tool Preset palette only shows Tool Icon and Preset Name.  The Brush Palette Shows the Current brush stroke appearance and will change as you adjust the brush as you work with it.   The Brush Preset palette can show you brush strokes you have not set Tool Presets for to help you with selecting a brush that to do not frequently use.

Photoshop Tools Preset palette can be quickly cleared out using the Tools Preset palette's fly-out menu item Reset Tool Presets or Replace Tools presets these can also be used in scripts and actions.   I feel this would be a good way to set Photoshop for the work at hand. In your mobile Studio You will be working with a single display. Visible Palette Space Reduces Canvas area on screen.  Adobe tries to help you by providing different workspace. Adobe's Painting workspace should only be considered a suggestion.  IMO the layers palette is requires. The Brush Presets palette a waste of space, the Tools Preset palette would be better there.  The color palette of course a good thing. Popping out the Brush palette and changing Brushes with shortcuts can eliminate the need to see Tool Presets. A different tool bar configuration may also helpful.   But than what do I know I'm not a painter  Put more thought into it maybe you can emulate Bob Ross....

PaintingSetup.jpg

Using a wides aspect ratio display rotated to a portrait orientation would also increase the area you will have for your Layers palette and Presets palettes.

When Changing Brushes via Shortcuts you get vusual feedback ine the tools option bar and Brush Palette.

CycleBrushes.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Does your product support Photoshop CS6?

If so when will it be released?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm afraid the HTML panel stuff I'm using is only available around Photoshop CC 2015 or newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club! I'm Anastasiy, creator of MagicSquire. I'm constantly working on the panel so please let me know if you need any additional features or tell me what you don't like in MagicSquire.

You can contact me directly if you wish! I'm always open to new ideas and suggestions and I would be happy to make it the best tool that helps you with your art!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines