• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS document window goes Black when using Dual Monitor set up. PS CC 2017.0.1

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started with PS CC 2017. Running OS 10.11.6. 27" iMac with secondary Apple Cinema Display.

When I have a PS document open, and its window even touches the edge of my primary display, the whole PS document turns black. If I continue to drag document fully into my second monitor, image reappears.  This behavior  stared with lasted update to PS CC 2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Ok. I posted this in Adobe's other Photoshop Forum ("Photoshop Family" - not sure why in the world Adobe hosts two forums for one product) But it looks like an Adobe employee (Eric Ching) was able to reproduce and log a bug. Hopefully fixed in next update?  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is the resolution for each monitor the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The iMac is 5120 x 2880, the secondary display is 2560 x 1600. I had no issue using this setup seamlessly with Photoshop until the PS CC 2017 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a very short video screen grab showing problem. I drag my PS Document window to the left (towards my secondary display) as soon as PS document window hits the edge of my primary display, it turns black. this did not happen with PS CC 2015 or earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I see! This looks more like a possible graphics card problem, in combination with a possible bug (there seem to be some problems with people using very high resolutions on their displays lately). May I ask what GPU you're running? Each version of these programs seems to change not only their GPU system requirements, but also their compatibility (Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) card FAQ)

I notice that you use the app with floating windows (the Mac way). I wonder if a workaround may be to use the Combined workspace - more Windows-like, but some posts I've seen show it to be more compatible with higher resolution monitors and combos. To enable it, Turn on "Application Frame" in the Window menu. I didn't like this method of working at first, but found that once I got used to moving among my items, it was less kludgy than I originally thought. I also have a workspace in which I use my 2nd monitor for most of my panels, and use much more of my main screen for the image, the toolbar and the Options bar.

I know that you may not find it ideal, but from some of my reading, it seems to have helped GPU incompatibility (bug) issues for some other people in other forums I read. Even on these threads - although, admittedly, most of those problems seem to be occurring on Windows machines with Nvidia cards that need updated drivers. It's very likely that Adobe and Apple didn't communicate well about their driver usage, either.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. My first thought. I tried with and without Application Frame. Certainly may be GPU card related, but like I said, worked fine in PS CC 2015.5.

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

For now I'll just be more careful where I drag the doc window, and hope it is addressed at some point. Thanks for you help.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, of course the "Staff" person confirmed it IS a bug - hopefully they'll fix it - or work with Apple to fix it.

Sorry you're dealing with it. With a nice GPU like that, it should be making you toast and coffee, instead of giving you bugs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I think you're encountering a problem with Mac OS's "Spaces" settings. Something similar happens on my Mac, when I move something to another monitor. The OS is considering each monitor as it's own "Space", so things don't show in full until moved completely to the 2nd monitor. Personally, I don't have that problem in PS, yet - but then, I'm on an older version of the OS.

Here's something to try though. In System Preferences, open Mission Control (if you're like me, you RARELY go there). Then, UNcheck the "Displays have separate Spaces" option and try moving your document again. This SHOULD bring you back to the old way of working, in which both displays show as a complete continuation of the other. Hope this helps.

Voila_Capture 2017-01-18_11-39-42_AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. But thanks for the try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I posted this in Adobe's other Photoshop Forum ("Photoshop Family" - not sure why in the world Adobe hosts two forums for one product) But it looks like an Adobe employee (Eric Ching) was able to reproduce and log a bug. Hopefully fixed in next update?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also had problems with this since January of this year, when I purchased a Wacom 27HQ Cintiq. Previously I had two identical monitors, both NEC Multisync PA271W. Now I have one Cintiq and one NEC, both are the same resolution (2560 x 1440).

If an image spans two monitors in Photoshop (2017.1.1), then the image turns black. This does not happen in other applications or finder windows, or Preview. It only happens in Photoshop.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.26.39 AM.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.26.46 AM.JPG

screen capture cintiq window goes black - YouTube

This is a seriously debilitating issue and has made editing very difficult. BTW I did check my mission control as referenced earlier in the thread, and "Displays have separate spaces" is unchecked. Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really nice if Adobe responded to this bug. There has been more than sufficient time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! This is fixed in the new PS 2018 release! Too awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had the same bug with cc 2017 and the latest update didn't fix it. I continue to use cc 2015 or any other prior versions with no problem and apparently cc 2018 works correctly too, so it's definitely cc 2017 that's broken and it should be fixed.  I can't run cc 2018 because I'm not running Sierra yet due to the lack of compatible drivers for some of my devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines