• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disk Drive name change

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep my Lightroom Catalog on an external disk drive, as well as all of my pictures. I use an iMac for a computer.

I would like to know if I can rename that disk drive, and have the Lightroom catalog find my pictures.

I am able to rename the drive in disk utilities. I then double click on the Lightroom Catalog file on the renamed drive, and Lightroom starts up, but all of the pictures have the dreaded exclamation point in the upper right hand corner. Catalog settings shows that the location has changed to the new drive name, but under folders, the new drive name is not shown, just a the old drive name, which is grayed out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

These are the instructions. See Figure 4 and associated text.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Or just un-rename the disk drive, that will fix the problem as well. Unless you have a really good reason for renaming the disk drive, it seems like you have created some unnecessary work for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the instructions. See Figure 4 and associated text.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Or just un-rename the disk drive, that will fix the problem as well. Unless you have a really good reason for renaming the disk drive, it seems like you have created some unnecessary work for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! I'm all set now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By your reply, you suggest to always go back to the original drive name. That works, I confirm. But if you genuinely want or need to change the drive name for good reasons, how that can be done?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By your reply, you suggest to always go back to the original drive name. That works, I confirm. But if you genuinely want or need to change the drive name for good reasons, how that can be done?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

By @defaultu3nfzsefh71t

It can be done via the instructions at the link I gave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. However, these instructions are not specific to renaming an existing external drive. Nevertheless, I tried what is suggested and here is the outcome:

I open LRC and see my all my folders and photos

I go into Finder and modify the external drive name (calling drive 2T vs drive 1T).

I go back to LRC and I see that I lost all my folders and photos, with a ? on every folder.

I select the top folder (Pictures) and Control-Click to get the menu with Find Missing Folder.

I click on Find Missing Folder which brings me to Finder where I select the external drive I just renamed and Choose to confirm.

Then, here is the message I get: Unable to grant permissions to “Pictures” because it is no longer in the given location.

What went wrong?

Is it because I have my catalog and my photos on the same external drive?

Hoping yuou can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, you can't use "Find Missing Folder" to connect a folder named "Pictures" to a drive. You connect the folder named "Pictures" to the folder named "Pictures" on the renamed drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. Could describe (step by step) how to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, right-click on Pictures, select Find Missing Folder. Select the Pictures folder on the 2T drive. Press OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is exactly what I descibed and I tried again but that does not work. I still get the following message: 

Unable to grant permissions to “Pictures” because it is no longer in the given location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would need step-by-step screen captures, or a video, to diagnose further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks.

I will take shots of my screen while I am trying to make that drive renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.31.09.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.33.58.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.35.04.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.35.40.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.37.30.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.39.22.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.39.34.pngScreenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.39.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the sequence:

1- In Finder,  my drive is called 1T

2- Within LRC, I can see all my folders and photos

3- Within Finder, I change my drive name to 2T

4- Going back into LRC, all my folders show a ? sign

5- I select the Pictures folder, then Ctrl-click to get the Fiding Missing Folder command

6- I click on Finding Missing Folder and LRC opens Finder

7- I select the Pictures folder in my drive 2T

8- And here I get error message.

Any idea as to why the error message and how to proceed to rename my drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see you have done the right things, and so I have no other ideas right now why you are getting the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now I do have an idea. Make sure the permission in your operating system for this disk and for this folder (disk permissions are not the same as folder permissions) are set to read and write.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.

I have set the disk and Pictures folder permission for me (admin), staff and everyone Read&Write.

I tried the same sequence, with unfortunately, the same result and same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Drive is not 'online'! -Note the indicator 'light' is dark. It should be Green like the iMacHD.

You will not be able to re-link the folders until you have a green light.

Rob_Cullen_0-1632959298269.png

You must have some permissions problem (that I do not understand as a 'Windows' person 😞  )

See a post on this at- https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/aperture-import-stays-at-0/m-p/10709198...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I am not a LrC expert, but I tend to think that it is logical that my drive appears black as I changed its name. For LrC, it is like if I had disconnected it. However, it is still connected and mounted, as I can perfectly see all my folders and photos stored on that drive through Finder. In addition, when I rename back my drive as 1T, LrC recognizes it immediatly and I recover all my folders and photos within LrC.

Beyond that, I would be interested in knowing if this is a LrC structural problem, hence everybody trying to rename a drive in LrC faces the same issue, or if this is just me having this problem!

Could you, or someoneelse, try to rename in Finder (or Explorer) the drive on which you store your photos and try to get it reconnected within LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you, or someoneelse, try to rename in Finder (or Explorer) the drive on which you store your photos and try to get it reconnected within LrC?

By @defaultu3nfzsefh71t

Testing on Windows may not indicate if the problem exists on a Mac, and vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, but at least we would know more, and specifically if the problem is common to both systems or only specific to Mac, for example. Why don't you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try later when I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works as expected on Windows 10 21H1 where I change the drive letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for trying and for your confirmation. That restricts the problem to Mac users.

I still would appreciate to know if this is a LrC structural issue that all Mac users are facing or if this is a specific problem to my configuration or setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines