Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Comparing Secured PDFs

Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I secure PDFs from editing and still compare the two in Acrobat Pro DC?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Yes, not until Adobe changes this. You may want to submit an enhancement request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends what you're not allowing in your security policy... I assume that Content Extraction must be enabled for this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you answer.

Im assuming that it is not possible to have both a secure PDF and the ability to compare one PDF to another.

Is there a way to Enable Content Extraction and Prevent Editing to the existing file? I do not mind if content is copied or that the file is printed. Im trying to prevent the existing file from being easily manipulated.

Ive attached a screenshot of my Security Document Properties. Are there preferences that I am overlooking that would make this task possible?

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 3.31.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to enable Content Copying. It's a separate check-box in the

Password Security window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I saved the PDFs to allow content copying. But when I tried to compare the two PDFs I was still prompted to enter the password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be behavior on Acrobat DC Pro. The good news is that this is already better than what was available in Acrobat XI and earlier, which did not prompt for passwords, but just refused to perform the comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is my assumption that this task is not possible accurate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, not until Adobe changes this. You may want to submit an enhancement request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So is my assumption that this task is not possible accurate?" no, because as has been said you just need to enter the password then it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Greetings! Thanks for you using the new 'Compare Files' feature.

In the latest version of Acrobat DC Pro, behavior of comparing secured documents is as follows:

Due to security reasons, if the Input PDFs have any type of 'Password Security' i.e. having an Open Password or Permissions Password, you will be prompted to enter the respective password. Also, the Compare Report generated from such secured files won't have any Password security applied on it.

Thanks,

Acrobat DC Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prompting for a password seems correct, if about to make an unprotected report that could contain copies of content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest Acrobat Pro DC if the secured file is open and pdedit permission is allowed on the document, then the file is being compared without any password prompts. Also, once the compare is used then all the other security settings of the pdf are also not honored. This seems to be a bug can someone confirm?

This is a serious security breach according to me.

VeraUser1_0-1600847954141.pngVeraUser1_1-1600847991700.png

Post the compare compare file the permissions of the already opened file will automatically be listed as everything is allowed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around I have found is to drop both secured PDF files into the google drive, and then print to PDF.  This gives you versions that don't have security that you can then compare.  This at least allowed me to get the two documents side by side with the changes highlighted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the usggestion. I printed to PDF (selected Microsoft Print to PDF in the printer list), and that gave me a PDF that I could compare. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines