• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating high resolution print from a SVG file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a SVG file for a relatively small print (~12" X 20").  I would like to enlarge it and print it to a ~36" X 60" area but still maintain 720 dpi resolution.  I used PS to render this file but it seemed PS could only render up to 44".  It would ignore any input that was larger than 44" and stayed at 44".  I also tried AI.  It could render large printing area from this file but its resolution was degraded significantly when I printed.  I probably missed something here.  Really appreciate any hints that might resolve this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator should have been able to scale the type OK, unless it was rastorized before saving to the svg file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want or need a 720dpi resolution the human eye of a child may be able to able resolve down to 1/720" by 1/720" you can not.  Photoshop deals with pixels  it only deals with DPI as a setting.   Photoshop can print 36"x60" on Printers the have the capability of print that large.  My Epson 4800 bed is only 17" wide and can print on roll paper  however I believe its print limit is something like 54feet at once It can not to the 36" but it can do the 60" part.  An Image 36" by 60" with a 720DPI resolution would be and image 25,920px be 43,200px Photoshop van handle that.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also seen a Photoshop extension name SVGLAYERS  that support most of what can be in an svg file and omen svg files as vector layers in Photoshop. I think it is like $10 USD

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack wrote:

I have also seen a Photoshop ectension name SVGLAYERS that support most of what can be in an svg file and omen svg files as vector layers in Photoshop. I think it is like $10 USD

Hey, that is really useful to know JJ.  Well worth $10

SVG LAYERS for Photoshop | Open SVG files as Editable Vector Layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.  I think I should elaborate a little more about the limitation in PS I encountered.  The PS version I am using is Photoshop CC for MS Windows.  This limitation happens when I open SVG file.  The first window pops out is "Rasterize SVG format" window.  In this window, I can change size of picture and resolution.  This is where I bump into this size limitation.  Printing large size is not a problem as JJ pointed out.  By the way, this print is not for human eyes.  That is why we need 720 dpi resolution. 

Another observation is that this rasterizing process in PS could take more than one day on a i7 laptop if I choose 44" X 26" size (similar amount of time would be needed on a MacBook Pro).  It takes AI less than two minutes to generate similar size picture and the resulting pictures (by the same printer Epson P-8000 and the same printer settings) are quite different in terms of resolution.  I think PS rasterizing process must be more rigorous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to specify.  It is Photoshop CC2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It not the Photoshop version its that Photoshop does not support SVG file.  It can NOT open SVG vector file as as a layered document with vector layers, Photoshop does not support svg file as vector files Illustrator does,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My take is SVGLayers is better than Photoshop's support but not perfect.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look on the adobe site for Photoshop Supported file extensions you will find SVG is not one of them,  Photoshop's  SVG support is poor.

Supported file formats in Photoshop

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JJ for bring up this good point.  I probably am beating a dead horse here.  Maybe bringing this question to Illustrator group is more proper.  I just could not get good resolution from AI while PS render much better results.  Hopefully, someone in AI group could give me some points how to print high resolution SVG pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the question here is your workflow with the SVG file opened in Illustrator. You said that it still printed with blurred text, so something wasn't right.

grasshopperbo wrote:

Maybe bringing this question to Illustrator group is more proper.

That sounds like a good idea to me.  I am not strong with Illustrator, and while I think I could muddle through the process if I had the file to work with, I couldn't give you a step by step guide.

I could move this thread to the Illustrator forum, or it might be better to start a new thread, and include a link to this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grasshopperbo I see this bug in 2015 but not in in the latest 2017. Can you try upgrading and see if it persists for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is good to know that the newest version won't have this problem.  Unfortunately, I have to wait until my employer upgrades  our Photoshop to 2017 version to verify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines