• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHANGE resolution to 300DPI

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want  to permanently change resolution to at least 300DPI. i know how to do it, just wondering if i can make it a default... i looked in preferences and cant find solution.  i know a lot of times certain settngs change back to a default and it drives me crazy, even  brushes do not stay i have to save them...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Digital images don't have a DPI  setting. All they have is pixel dimensions. Changing the DPI (Really, it's PPI or pixels per inch) setting has no impact whatsoever on image quality in Photoshop. The only time it comes in to play is when you are trying to set up a print job. And then the setting is relative to the printer. It has no impact on image display on your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change what PS?

PS uses UI scaling

Your operating system determines DPI settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, then is that changeable? the interface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry PS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Preferences - Units & Rulers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do i have to restart PS in order for change to kick in, because i changed it and it still comes up with 72DPI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital images don't have a DPI  setting. All they have is pixel dimensions. Changing the DPI (Really, it's PPI or pixels per inch) setting has no impact whatsoever on image quality in Photoshop. The only time it comes in to play is when you are trying to set up a print job. And then the setting is relative to the printer. It has no impact on image display on your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - restart after changing

As JimHess points out :

Print Resolution affects the image when it is sent to print - and calculates the image size at that resolution.

Screen resolution affects the rulers and print when you click on View - Print Size. If the screen resolution is set correctly the rulers and print will appear on screen at the actual physical dimensions.

It does not affect 100% zoom or other views at all

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most changes require a restart of PS

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300 ppi is stored as Metadata,  which is information about the file separate from the image.

PSD and Tiff will always carry the 300 ppi, but using Save for Web on Jpeg and PNG can remove that 300 ppi if Metadata is set to "None". The file then defaults to 72 ppi.

So if you save those kinds of files, you either have to set Metadata to "All" in Save for Web, or use File > Save As... to create a jpeg or png file with the 300 ppi metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening raw camera files through Adobe Camera Raw, one can also set the PPI value in the “workflow” text at the bottom centre of the ACR interface (click on the hypertext):

acr.png

As previously mentioned, the PPI value is stored in metadata. If you wish to change this value on saved images it could be performed using an batch action or image processor script+action to resize to 300ppi with resampling turned off – however I would not recommend doing this for JPEG files as it will decompress/recompress them which is not best practice for a lossy compressed file (even  if the quality loss is next to invisible). I would use ExifTool to batch update the PPI metadata in the files without affecting the actual image data.

More here:

Bridge thumbnails not showing correct resolution

P.S. For images, it is PPI or pixels per inch, not DPI or dots per inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines