• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complete: Design the Photoshop Forums Banner Challenge 2

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***Voting for Round 2 has CLOSED! Congratulations to Matt Cannon View the submissions​!***

Hi all,

Round one of the Forums Banner Challenge was awesome. Congratulations to the winner of the last round -- Trevor.Dennis​​, and well done to all of the other entries. Incase you missed it -- Check out the first Banner Challenge​!

It sounds like you're itching to get going again, so let's kick off Round two!

Purpose: Create a fresh Photoshop Forums Banner for the Photoshop forums overview page.

PSBannerChallenge-wide.jpg

Using the template in this post, submit your Photoshop Forums Banner design by attaching your image in a response to this thread. We’ll then select the best submissions and use them for our Photoshop Forums banner image. A new banner image will be selected by an internal Adobe committee every 3 or so months and used in the Photoshop forums.

Use the above template design as a starting point for your designs which will help you position your imagery so it won’t be covered by the forum's CSS banner elements:

Image dimensions: 1150px ×150px (72dpi)

File size: 30kb or less

File types: .JPG or .PNG

Please keep all submissions Photoshop-related (Photoshop UI is OK to use), safe for work, and use image content you have the rights to (do not use any copyrighted images).

Post your designs to this thread, and we'll select the winner around February 2017. The chosen winner's design will be featured in the Photoshop Forums which is seen by over 35,000 people each month!

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Regards

Adobe Social Team

***Voting for Round 2 has CLOSED! Congratulations to Matt Cannon View the submissions​!***

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

As most of you have already discussed --

Congratulations to mrcannon for winning round 2 of the Photoshop Forums Banner challenge!

Your design has now been added to the main page and will stay until the next challenge.

Thank you to each who entered and to those that voted. Some really awesome entries.

Regards

Pete

P.S. Would you like to have more of these banner challenges in the future? Would you like other forms of community challenges?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I am going, it is going to take me till some in February to complete my idea.   It's all good practice though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was concerned February was TOO MUCH time Trevor, if folks would like more time, that is easily arranged. Nothing set in stone here.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I'll kick off with one that was at the end of the other thread but was too late for the last competition entry - that should get the ball rolling

20160702-Forum-Banner-Dave.jpg

20160702-Forum-Banner-DaveA.jpg

I'll post a new entry later this morning

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and a new one (click for full size).....

20170106-Forum-Banner-Pool.jpg

20170106-Forum-Banner-PoolA.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pete.Green,

I''m getting a 404 error on the Template link.

Re: banner dimensions.  That should be 1150 x 150 px, right?

1400 would be way too wide and result in 250px cut-off.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy

The template is 1150 x 150 px

I tried to attach here as a PSD but it was a "forbidden" file type

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PNG Template:

Link to PSD

Adobe Creative Cloud

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Pete, I'v said this in the first tread. Can you confirm ?

Challenger dont need to add a grey background for the 35px Menu at the bottom, because the site add it's own black semi-transparent (opacity) background on the element. (Opacity is not the best way to handle this, rgba should be use )

.j-placeNavBg {

background: #000 none repeat scroll 0 0;

bottom: 0;

height: 35px;

left: 0;

opacity: 0.3;

position: absolute;

right: 0;

top: 0;

}

They should use a 30% black background to their muck-ups.

My 2¢ again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you about the borders.  It's not necessary to add them as this forum's software (JIVE) takes care of that.

postrophe wrote:

Opacity is not the best way to handle this, rgba should be used.

I doubt Pete or anyone else at Adobe has access to JIVE's underlying CSS code.  I'm pretty sure that's all locked down and out of reach. 

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

I agree with you about the borders. It's not necessary to add them as this forum's software (JIVE) takes care of that.

postrophe wrote:

Opacity is not the best way to handle this, rgba should be used.

I doubt Pete or anyone else at Adobe has access to JIVE's underlying CSS code. I'm pretty sure that's all locked down and out of reach.

Nancy

I'm guessing that MadisonMLeupp would have the definitive answer for this.

(Reference Postrophe's post #8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for web novices like me. Do we need to do any different than produce an 1150 x 150 px image at less than 30kb that respects the text and border positions in Trevor/Nancy's templates - as per posts above?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No noting special.   Just Export as JPG or PNG.

If you feel you need borders,  I don't think anybody would  reject your banner for having them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Dave (everyone), all you need to do is to create a concept image based on the overall header dimension.

The green elements give you indication of where JIVE add's elements (I bet they tested these width's for different languages).

So, keep heavy "graphics (dark elements)" out of the green indicators. Let JIVE CSS stylesheet do it's job. The Menu Bar is set to be 30% opacity, so the blending with your Artwork is kinda seamless. (and in my book, looks better). Check other Adobe forums.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre,

Correct -- Jive adds the gray bar at the bottom, those designing do not need to add any of the Jive UI elements to their designs.

Just design the main graphic elements around the green boxes on the template as those areas will likely be covered by something in Jive.

Nancy,

Thanks for the dimensions adjustment, I've fixed that in the original post

Image dimensions: 1150px ×150px (72dpi)

File size: 30kb or less

File types: .JPG or .PNG

All,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've replaced the broken links with the linked PSD template also in the original post.

I appreciate you pointing out the kinks that needed to be fixed!

Happy editing.

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tossing my hat into the ring.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one more from my bag of tricks. I'll call it quits now.

Magic:

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

I have one more from my bag of tricks. I'll call it quits now.

Magic:

Nancy

Oh yes Nancy.  I like that a lot.   It took me a moment to see and parse the 'magic' angle, but when I caught up, it lifted it from a great graphic to a very clever idea.  You have even made your signature into a tiny bit of art all by itself.   I'd say you have raised the bar with this one.  It's really quite beautiful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nancy, sorry for the question. What's that oval shape ? An egg, a rock, an alien face, a painter pallet ... or else ?

I like to understand a concept. Thank's to shed light for me.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

postrophe wrote:

What's that oval shape ? An egg, a rock, an alien face, a painter pallet ... or else ?

You mean the mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Lol, I did not thought about that.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...ah...mask...now I get it... That's brilliant. I love puns and double meanings....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet so I'll pop another in and bump it up a bit . As normal - click to view full size

20170118-Forum-Banner-Stone-A.jpg

20170118-Forum-Banner-Stone.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshp Banner 011817.jpg

Photoshp Banner 011817 (With Template).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines