• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon .NEF file and LR

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never had this problem until now.  Imported photos into LR from the desktop, and LR for some reason won't read or develop my new RAW nikon .NEF files that I took this afternoon.  So, I tried JPEG, and LR will read and develop those files without problem.  It's just the new NEF files, I get an exclamation mark next to the thumbnail print, and I get the error message "an unexpected end-of-file occurred"  or "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo."  Again, it's only with the Nikon NEF files, but the JPEG files there are no issues.  I even deleted LR and reinstalled it, tried different memory cards.  Anyone have any ideas or explanations?

I use a Nikon D750 and iMac. 

Thanks,

David.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

So, it turns out it must of been the Nikon View 2 transfer.  So I transferred the NEF directly from the camera into LR and there were no bugs and LR opened the RAW file without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom ?   You need v5.7 or higher.

won't read

Do you mean you cannot import?  Does your destination folder have full Read/Write permissions?

Are you using Nikon Transfer software to import photos from the camera?  There are known bugs with some versions of this software.

A forum thread on this topic-

Help…D5500 NEF files not converting with DNGConverter

And the fix here-

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of LR.  I do the monthly subscription so it updates automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use Nikon Transfer to import the files from the card to the desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can import, but after I do, LR won't read the NEF file. I'm starting to think maybe it's the camera.  Look at the picture I just took right now and this is what I get when I took both NEF and JPEG;

RAW .NEF file

Screenshot 2017-01-18 19.33.57.png

JPEG file.

Screenshot 2017-01-18 19.33.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, it turns out it must of been the Nikon View 2 transfer.  So I transferred the NEF directly from the camera into LR and there were no bugs and LR opened the RAW file without problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines