• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the Lightroom speed bottleneck the software or the machine?

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to bring this up as I've just built a new pc with the following:

i7 5960X cpu at 4ghz.

64gb ram

Samsung Polaris M2 drives, on for OS, the other for the lightroom scratch and catalogues.

Raw files are kept on Samsung 850pro SSD's and export to  another of the same.

GTW1060 graphics card.

So it's a screamer. In the top 1% of system buids globally (apparently).

Yet, lightroom CC, exporting files of any description, of any task it only uses 40-60% of the cpu on average. There's no bottlenecks anywhere, dammit even the ram is the shortest latency I could get.

I had a similar situation with my old rig containing a 3930k, same percentage of cpu use although the new rig is quicker.

Is this a 'software thang'.  Is it no longer the cpu that needs to be upgraded because it's under utilised?

Ironically, Lightroom 5.6 would top 100% on th eold machine often, but not on my new one. (Which was a surprise).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments:

• there are reports that Lightroom doesn't perform well on 8-core CPU machines (I don't think anyone can explain why), and CPU speed is the primary driver of this task
  • exporting is throttled by design so that the entire computer doesn't come to a stop. If you have two concurrent exports going (instead of one large one), it will use more of the CPU. Three concurrent exports would use more of the CPU than two concurrent exports, etc.
  • Amount of Memory and speed of memory is mostly irrelevant to this task
  • Raw files on an SSD also mostly irrelevant to this task, and in fact raw files on an SSD doesn't improve speed anywhere in Lightroom other than by a trivial amount that you will never notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustrating. In that there is a speed improvement but a waste of a cpu with no control over it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand. I explained how to control the CPU usage when you are exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean this bit?

'exporting is throttled by design so that the entire computer doesn't come to a stop. If you have two concurrent exports going (instead of one large one), it will use more of the CPU. Three concurrent exports would use more of the CPU than two concurrent exports, etc.'

It doesn't use more cpu in my case. I exported 722 tiffs to jpeg in 5 minutes last night (which is really fast even at 40-60%) but 6 threads doing different sizes took a lot longer than individually. If I could of scheduled the exports so they happen one after the other I'd of been better off. Something people have been asking about for years.

It's like there is something holding the cpu utilization back. I get what you're saying about throttling, but I think the latest versions of lightroom don't lend themselve too well to using the resources available to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom is categorically pathetic in its processing of files.

I'm not sure what level of system resources it uses but it seems its very low.

Building previews atm.

Its chunking along at 36% CPU (3.6ghz, 6core 12 thread, 64gbRAM, GTX680 (old but its still faster than cpu only)

windows is telling me Lightroom is using an astonishing 28mb/s a second of drive performance. on a PCI SSD than does 1200mb/s throughput. (cache on separate PCI SSD)

Adobe may want to stop it from crushing a system, how about it trying to make a tiny dent for a start. I can render 3d with 100% CPU and overloaded ram hitting swap, and still use the OS fine.

Come on adobe. get some performance happening in Lightroom sooner rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines