• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

From Lightroom to Photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a new PC with Windows 10 and installed Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop without problem.  Previously I was processing photographs on a Windows 7 platform and a wide gamut monitor without problem.  Now, with the new PC (same monitor), when I send images from LR to PS through LR external editor, the images are much darker in PS.  On saving back to LR they remain dark.  I have spent > 20 hours trying to resolve the issue, checking color spaces, reinstalling programs etc. to no avail.  Also, in the fray, I checked the calibration of my monitor with Color Munki and found I needed updated SW.  Updated the SW and recalibrated.  How can I again achieve consistence between LR and PS.  Please help, thank you Darlene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

dtkorab wrote:

Previously I was processing photographs on a Windows 7 platform and a wide gamut monitor without problem. Now, with the new PC (same monitor), when I send images from LR to PS through LR external editor, the images are much darker in PS.

Also, in the fray, I checked the calibration of my monitor with Color Munki and found I needed updated SW. Updated the SW and recalibrated.

Windows 10 is known in many cases to assign a monitor profile that is not compatible with LR. Recalibrating

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a corrupted monitor profile.,Did you profile the monitor since you started using the new computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I recalibrated it with X Rite Color Munki which created a profile.  Is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It could of gotten corrupted. Recalibrate and test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR.png

PS.png

Okay, I recalibrated, but nothing has changed.  Top image is Lightroom, bottom image is Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to mention that both images above are more anemic than what the screen shows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Photoshop Color Settings / Working Space / RGB: = ProfotoRGB ?   (the 'same' as Lightroom default)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's PS Settings:

PS Settings.png

And here's LR settings:

LR Settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No definitive answer from me, i'm afraid- just "clutching at straws"

Try setting Photoshop "Conversion Options / Intent: " = Perceptual.

See Gamut Mapping paragraphs at- Color management and color science: Introduction

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed Conversion Options/Intent to Perceptual and no change.  I keep trying to confirm what has changed since everything ran perfectly prior to new PC/Windows 10 platform:

- I maintained the same PS and LR settings.  While installing LR, I upgraded from 5.0 to 5.7.1.

- same Dell U3011 wide gamut monitor, except that I recalibrated with Color Munki/Display 1.0 and got very bad results.  Upgraded to 1.1.3 per X-Rite technician and results were very good.

In the course of everything above I sidetracked to Theresa J's issue above and converted back to the previous Windows Photo Viewer.  The Photo Viewer is identical to the image as it appears in Lightroom.  I just did the screenshot which happens to effectively show the problem here in the Forum.  But the problem itself occurs long before saving the image to jpeg (actually it was png). 

I import raw images to LR, converting to dng in the process. Then some initial global changes in LR, transferring from LR to PS using the external editor and the image is primarily much darker.

Thank you wobertc for working with me on this.  All your "straws" make sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you saving the jpeg image from Photoshop to share it here? I'm wondering if you are saving the jpeg without converting to sRGB, and not embedding the color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Theresa J, thank you!  I mentioned to wobertc above: In the course of everything above I sidetracked to Theresa J's issue above and converted back to the previous Windows Photo Viewer.  The Photo Viewer is identical to the image as it appears in Lightroom.  I just did the screenshot which happens to effectively show the problem here in the Forum.  But the problem itself occurs long before saving the image to jpeg (actually it was png).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, the tables have turned.  I am about to be committed to an asylum.  I changed monitor profile back to factory default.  (So much for a high end monitor.)  Now the images between PS and LR reasonably match.  Then, after export from either LR to PS, there is a huge change.  Thumbnails look okay, but each viewer really impacts the image.  Below, the Windows 10 image looks okay, but on my screen it matches the oversaturated dark Windows 7.  Then XN viewer is desaturated.  It'd be okay if the Windows 10 image below matched what I see on the screen, but it really doesn't.  I would still very much appreciate any suggestions, but now maybe it's time to get with the monitor mfr.

Thumbnails:

Thumbnails.png

Windows 10 Viewer below:

Windows 10 Photo Viewer.png

Windows 7 Viewer below:

Windows 7 Photo Viewer.png

XN Viewer below:

XN Viewer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you converting to sRGB and embedding the profile when exporting the jpeg?

Just for kicks, while in Photoshop go to Color Settings >Assign Setting, and choose ProPhoto which is the color space Lightroom is exporting to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, converting to sRGB to save to jpeg when exporting out in LR, but I'm not seeing how to embed the profile at the same time.  Could that be somewhere other than the export menu?  And, yes, ProPhoto is chosen as the working space in PS along with embedded profiles.  I think that's what you are asking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open an image without an embedded profile Photoshop will assign the default working profile. This could drastically change the look. You shared screenshots of your settings that should create embedded profiles when opening from Lightroom. I was just guessing that maybe the ProPhoto profile isn't getting embedded and photoshop is assigning sRgb instead. This would create the problems you see. But I am only guessing that this might be happening. To be absolutely sure the image is being viewed in the prophoto profile you should assign it.

Got to edit, color settings, assign profile. I hope that makes sense.

Theresa Jackson

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dtkorab wrote:

Previously I was processing photographs on a Windows 7 platform and a wide gamut monitor without problem. Now, with the new PC (same monitor), when I send images from LR to PS through LR external editor, the images are much darker in PS.

Also, in the fray, I checked the calibration of my monitor with Color Munki and found I needed updated SW. Updated the SW and recalibrated.

Windows 10 is known in many cases to assign a monitor profile that is not compatible with LR. Recalibrating the monitor should assign a new profile and fix the issue, but LR needs to be closed and restarted to load the new profile. If you've already done that and the issue remains please check your Colormunki application Preferences and make sure it is set to make ICC v2 Matrix profiles and NOT ICC v4: Profile Version ICC v2 or ICC v4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is most likely a monitor profile issue, and note Todd's reminder above about relaunching the app when changing the profile. PS and Lr will load the system default profile at startup, and continue to use that profile until next launch.

The first step is always to run a fresh calibration/profiling. The safe options for profile policy, as mentioned, is version 2, and matrix-based (not table-based). If a multi-monitor setup, make sure that the OS puts up the correct profile for each display.

Note that a defective monitor profile can convert correctly from one source color space, but fail from another. It can work from sRGB in Photoshop, but fail from linear ProPhoto in ACR/Lr. Just as an example.

----------

In a color managed application, the document profile is converted into the monitor profile, and these modified RGB values are fed to the monitor. Applications without color management just pass the original numbers directly to the monitor without any correction.

The monitor profile has only one basic requirement: it needs to accurately describe the actual response of the monitor. This is true for any icc profile - it has to be an accurate description of the color space it represents. If the monitor profile is defective in any way, it is no longer an accurate description, and thus the application displays incorrectly.

Generally, when troubleshooting these things, keep in mind that a color management chain is operating here. Verify that each link in the chain is operational, they all depend on each other:

• does the file have an embedded icc profile, and is it the right one?
  • do you have a valid monitor profile set up at system level, and is it the correct one?
  • are you viewing in a color managed application that will read both these profiles and correctly convert from one into the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for delay, down with flu.  Thank you trshaner and D Fosse.  Everything now seems to be work much better.  Thank you for taking the time.  There is one quirk still remaining, though it has no functional impact.  I uploaded images to a gallery (Pass Gallery) and the images appeared to match where it counts.  During the upload process, however, you can see thumbnails and they are way off.  That is new to me but, like I say, it falls into "don't care."  This sure has been a maddening process.  This forum really helped me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the upload thumbnail viewer is not fully color managed. If you were using a standard gamut display the thumbnails would probably look OK since the display is close to sRGB gamut and the uploaded JPEGs are sRGB gamut. You'll need to use a fully color managed Web browser to view images on the Web with a wide gamut display.

FireFox will do that when properly set to use the monitor profile. Download and install FireFox. Next type about:config in the address search bar and then click on 'I accept the risk' and scroll down to gfx_color_mangement. Locate your monitor profile and copy & paste the path as shown below along with the other settings  true and 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

Locate your monitor profile and copy & paste the path as shown below

You don't need to do that - Firefox will locate and use the default display profile by itself, and the "value" field can be left blank.

ff1_1.png

However, in this case it will use the profile for the main display, regardless of the display it's actually on. So if you need it to use a secondary display profile, this might be the way to do it.

In any case, dtkorab - if you have a wide gamut monitor, this Firefox configuration is the only way to get correct colors in all scenarios. No other web browser has an equivalent to Firefox mode 1.

The significance of this setting is that it assigns sRGB to all untagged material, which in turn allows it to convert these sRGB numbers into your monitor profile. This is absolutely necessary for wide gamut units.

All other browsers drop color management for untagged material, they just pass the numbers straight through. On a wide gamut display that means oversaturation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse wrote:

trshaner wrote:

Locate your monitor profile and copy & paste the path as shown below

You don't need to do that - Firefox will locate and use the default display profile by itself, and the "value" field can be left blank.

In older FF versions you had to enter the path manually. Thanks for the correction! I can confirm the primary display profile is used with that field left empty (default).

D Fosse wrote:

So if you need it to use a secondary display profile, this might be the way to do it.

Years ago I ran FireFox on two calibrated displays with an add-on called Profile Switcher. This allows creating a separate user profile for each display and manually enter the correct monitor profile path. I'm not sure if it still works with the latest version of FF.

ProfileSwitcher :: Add-ons for Firefox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, I only use Firefox.  But here's the kicker, the variables include: the new PC with Windows 10 and Color Munki Display with v. 1.3.1 software.  Same wide-gamut monitor, same Color Munki device but with earlier software, same Adobe software, etc.  Now, this Gallery is divided about half into thumbnails processed prior to PC/platform change, and the bottom half is afterwards, and after having incorporated all the above recommendations.  These thumbnails are dark, dingy and desaturated.  When opened in the actual gallery they are fine.Gallery Thumbnails.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dtkorab, most people mistakenly think of color management as system-wide, affecting everything equally. It does not. It is application-specific, some do it and some don't.  Some use the monitor profile and some don't.

Showing those images is in itself irrelevant. What's relevant is what application are they displayed in, and is it color managed? Some apps are even color managed in some situations and not in others.

Always establish at the very first - is color management actually happening here? Is the document profile honored, and the RGB numbers converted from that document profile and into the monitor profile? If in doubt, always check in applications with known color management status.

What this looks like, the bottom half, is ProPhoto files viewed without color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines