Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Super-/subscript in one line

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to make a two lined line, in one line.

It is made of one superscript and one subscript word, but how do I align the two words?

Skærmbillede 2017-01-19 kl. 12.43.15.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Hi

I can imagine situations (i.e. data merge) where keeping text in a single paragraph is needed.

Chad's suggestion would definitely do the trick.

In addition, you could implement GREP styles to your para style, what would give you great control.

This is an example based on the assumption that you want to deal with "xxxxxx by xxxx" pattern:

ted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For something like that, quite frankly, I'd just use multiple text frames. While certainly an old school approach, it's probably a lot easier than trying to do it in one.

Another idea would be to use a table and merge the cells for the larger text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's right, it's probably easiest to do this with multiple text frames however if you are dead set on doing it with one line of text, here's how:

1. Set the text in one single line
  2. Put your cursor in front of the B in By and kern the text in the negative direction until the Y overlaps the D in Produced.
  3. Now highlight the word "BY" and apply a baseline shift so that it appears under the word Produced
  4. Highlight the word TED and increase the point size and apply a baseline shift to get the size and alignment to be correct

It's wonky but it gives you what you're looking for. I did an example on my end and have attached a screen shot below.

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 8.29.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob/Chad. Normally I use multiply text frames, but thanks for helping me out here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can imagine situations (i.e. data merge) where keeping text in a single paragraph is needed.

Chad's suggestion would definitely do the trick.

In addition, you could implement GREP styles to your para style, what would give you great control.

This is an example based on the assumption that you want to deal with "xxxxxx by xxxx" pattern:

ted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny

Your example is quite elegant, but does that mean you would have to format each paragraph separately for each name? That feels like too much work for a data merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandee

No need to format each paragraph... I used the very same one

tedd.jpg

Edit: I guess you got confused because I call my char style "Ted"... I should have call it "who?" ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The character style called Ted confused me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Vinny! very simple to play! 

Capture d’écran 2017-01-19 à 16.30.34.png

… with just a para style! the determinant is "by"!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ObiWan Kenobi

It's no good if you just show off the results but don't show us your formatting.

These forums are not just for bragging about how clever you are.

I'm interested in your work, not just the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture d’écran 2017-01-19 à 16.43.33.png

… Just a similar way, as Vinny did!  No other trick! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually your GREP formulas are quite different from Vinny.

We should not have to ask you to explain your work.

This is not a magic act where you don't show how the trick is done. It is a place where people come to learn. And can only learn by seeing all the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen our resident Jedi brag, Sandee. Obi-wan Kenobi​ has his own style, but is always willing to show his work. I have enjoyed the challenge of figuring it out (or not) before asking.

And he is willing to help the helpless as well as those who come with their light sabers swinging.

But I do agree with you that he is a clever Jedi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As often reminded me my Master Yoda:

" Any help a guy you give, his present issue he'll fix!

To imagine it you teach him, lost in The Dark Side he'll never be! … "

(Extract from the Jedi Bible)

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wise words to live by—even for those of us who are not Jedis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines