Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After update to 2017: After Effects won't open .AEP files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The run down:

After upgrading to After Effects 2017 I can't open a .aep file by clicking on it.  What I can do is open a blank AE project then import the original file and can work from there. So obviously the file doesn't seem corrupted.  However, the video files that I am working on a pretty complex and I need to reset up my many compositions every time I want to work on it (i.e: find the correct ones and drag them out into tabs).

Is this an issue with the After Effects latest build? Is anyone else experiencing this?  If it is something that just got switched on my version, how do I fix it?

Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    AfterFX.exe

Application Version:    14.0.1.5

Application Timestamp:    58259e6c

Fault Module Name:    atio6axx.dll

Fault Module Version:    6.14.10.10179

Fault Module Timestamp:    4c96c2ea

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    00000000000bad32

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    2055

Additional Information 1:    050a

Additional Information 2:    050a897f5d712690b5199e7ddfc23178

Additional Information 3:    0339

Additional Information 4:    03398b5bd13ba00d0e3ec55236c6050d

have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your system's hardware? Do you have an AMD processor or Intel?

What OS do you have?

Can you open a project by going File>Open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Pro

Intel core i7-4910MQ 2.90 Ghz.

I can open a document using File> Open Recent, any other way says that it is a unrecognized format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JQuinn101,

Did you ever solve this issue?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I have just accepted that I will have to import the files for now.  I have tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it this problem? Re: AE 2017 won't open .aep files - if it is, try the suggestion by the handsome fellow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps for the Run command, and it couldn't find any .aep files.  which is weird.  I tried to follow the steps for the Registry correction, but I'll admit I don't really understand the registry as well as I could and don't know where to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps for the Run command, and it couldn't find any .aep files.  which is weird.

do you mean set association could not find aep files?

I tried to follow the steps for the Registry correction, but I'll admit I don't really understand the registry as well as I could and don't know where to start.

definitely don't go there if you are not familiar the slightest with it. this is a big step

try this - add a new user in user accounts and see if login with this user and using Ae solves this issue. this is also a dramatic step because all your setting of your OS will be fresh.

OR - instead of both of these steps and especially if you are not sure what to do - try contacting support and solve this issue with a support agent via remote desktop and skype. Contact Customer Care I have done this a few times where CC software problems got the best of me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to contact customer care than.  My computer is a work computer, and the permissions will not allow me to make a new login.  Thanks for the pointers. I'll update if I can get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I & others occasionally have the same issue with Illustrator, double clicking image files.  I don't usually double click AE projects to open them so I couldn't say if problem is the same.  But the fix for Illustrator is to open task manager and look for multiple instances of Adobe processes running. End those processes and and it (illustrator) works again until it doesn't.

I too have accepted the workflow.

Whoever's steering Adobe is like an incompetent sea captain. Navigating at sea if your just a hair's width fraction off course but continue on anyway without correcting, eventually you will wind up thousands of miles off course.  Adobe continues on without correcting and is headed for disaster.

BTW, it makes no sense to me why you have to re-set-up all you compositions.  For one thing the open compositions (tabs) get saves with the project file. And secondly whether you double click the .aep file or open it from the AE file menu should have no effect on the state of the project when it opens.

I'm just sayin'

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines