• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Super slow performance (is there anything I can do?)

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, guys, so I had this pretty weak PC that I was working with a month ago, I was working with adobe premiere and the performance was really poor. So I decided to save some money and buy a new PC so I can finally work with Premiere and After Effects without any lag. So I saved up 600 bucks and bought a PC with these Specs:

Hard: Sata 1TB

CPU: AMD FX 8300 (I know I could've bought Intel i7..)

RAM: 8GB (Gonna add more ram soon)

VIDEO CARD: DUAL GTX 1080 03G

Then I installed Premiere, it works fine, could be a bit faster, but its not that bad. But then I opened the AFTER EFFECTS.... I just pasted some audio into the project and decided to play it.The song alone can't even play in the same speed that it supposed to play, the audio is super laggy, choppy. Im not even talking about adding effects on images and stuff. And the rendering bar is fully green in the timeline, so it has loaded, but it still plays like that. Ive set the preview quality to "Quarter" and it still plays like that. I've watched almost every video about increasing the performance in youtube, did the memory settings thing and other stuff. Is After Effects seriously that hard to run? Is this normal? Because Premiere can handle the same thing with no problems. If that is the case then after effects is optimized very bad. But I still have hope. Can you help me, guys?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017
Is After Effects seriously that hard to run? Is this normal? Because Premiere can handle the same thing with no problems.

After effects is designed to playback cached frames in real-time. meaning it is designed to render the frames to memory before it can play them back in real time. definitely not the same experience you might have with a video editor like premiere. in the latest version, the ability to playback in real-time even non cached frames was improved significantly and was described t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, how would you describe the amount of time you've spent working with After Effects?   Months?  Weeks?  Days?  Hours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few Days with After Effects. Well, I haven't really worked with it, just tried to figure out how to speed things up haha. I've worked with Premiere for about 6 months though, so I know basic stuff about video editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sauliuss43758650 wrote:

...I haven't really worked with it... I've worked with Premiere for about 6 months though, so I know basic stuff about video editing.

You're in for a big surprise then.  AE doesn't work anything like PP!  Read Roei's explanation.

AE is also quirky and EXTREMELY complicated -- far more so than PP -- so you need training in the basics or you'll get lost and frustrated.  Not good.

Fortunately there's help!  Go here:

After Effects tutorials

Avoid AE tutorials done by high school kids on YouTube -- even on good days those guys can't find their posteriors in the dark using both hands.  Get your knowledge from the pros.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is After Effects seriously that hard to run? Is this normal? Because Premiere can handle the same thing with no problems.

After effects is designed to playback cached frames in real-time. meaning it is designed to render the frames to memory before it can play them back in real time. definitely not the same experience you might have with a video editor like premiere. in the latest version, the ability to playback in real-time even non cached frames was improved significantly and was described that "Most video footage can now play back in real-time before effects are applied, without waiting for ....

the audio is super laggy, choppy. Im not even talking about adding effects on images and stuff. And the rendering bar is fully green in the timeline, so it has loaded, but it still plays like that.

if the rendering bar is green it means the frames are cached to RAM and should playback smoothly. if you are experiencing anything different please share more information:

• exact Ae version (full numbers)
  • what assets do you have in your project
  • composition settings
  • some screenshots/screencapture

here are some articles you might find useful. make sure you know what to expect with Ae because it's not intuitive:

Improve performance in After Effects

Previews in After Effects CC 2015

Preview without rendering in After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines