• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom and external drives

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, I have a couple of related questions.

im now at a stage where I should be seriously looking at better backup.

i run LR from a desktop pc, and also want to run it occasionally on a laptop offsite.

my intention is to backup to a portable external drive ( and cloud). firstly, for the backup, should it be a mirror image of my internal drive, which is only has LR data on ( everything else is a separate SSD)?

if this is the case, then can the external drive be the default drive for LR on the laptop?

hope that makes sense.

thanks

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Regardless of what form your backups take, you need to make sure that you never use them for any other purpose than an emergency restore. Otherwise you risk losing these files just like you might lose the masters.

The easiest (not prettiest) way to share your edits between multiple computers is to put the images and the catalog on an external drive and move the drive from computer to computer as needed. (This usually results in a need for two external drives: one to use and one as the backup.)

As

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of what form your backups take, you need to make sure that you never use them for any other purpose than an emergency restore. Otherwise you risk losing these files just like you might lose the masters.

The easiest (not prettiest) way to share your edits between multiple computers is to put the images and the catalog on an external drive and move the drive from computer to computer as needed. (This usually results in a need for two external drives: one to use and one as the backup.)

As for the actual backup, keeping it as a simple mirror of the master folder tree is the easiest way to go. This can easily be done using drag and drop from Explorer/Finder, or a recursive copy command in a shell script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys.

You're right. I didn't think it through properly.

Another question if i can? Is it possible to sync the laptop in the same way as Lightroom for Web or Mobile? I don't particularly need access to the entire catalog

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is only possible to synchronize one catalog with Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom for the web. So if you are synchronizing from your main computer then you can go to Lightroom.adobe.com on your laptop and sign in with your Adobe ID and password. Then you will have access to all of the images that you have synchronized from your main computer. But you cannot synchronize from your laptop in addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreeing with ManiacJoe, this is a poor idea.

You must make backups of your catalog file and presets and all photos to a different physical disk, and then NOT USE the backups for any purpose except an emergency where your originals are no longer available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines