• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Indesign not work with GPU but Illustrator and Photoshop do?

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac Pro Photoshop an Illustrator are running with GPU performance, but InDesign will not recognize this, too? Why not? Can't find any settings to change this wired issue...Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-19 um 11.22.15.png

Illustrator settings:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-19 um 11.22.07.png

InDesign settings on the same machine?:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-19 um 11.40.10.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Here are the requirements:

• The computer must have at least 1 Gb of dedicated VRAM (2 Gb recommended) and it must support OpenGL version 4.0 and greater; AND
  • The computer must have a native Retina display (e.g., MacBook Pro, iMac 4K, iMac 5K, etc.) For computers like a Mac Pro or Mac Mini, they have to be connected to a HiDPI (Retina) monitor

You probably don't have a native Retina display on your Mac.

http://indesignsecrets.com/gpu-support-and-animated-zoom-arrives-for-mac.php

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the requirements:

• The computer must have at least 1 Gb of dedicated VRAM (2 Gb recommended) and it must support OpenGL version 4.0 and greater; AND
  • The computer must have a native Retina display (e.g., MacBook Pro, iMac 4K, iMac 5K, etc.) For computers like a Mac Pro or Mac Mini, they have to be connected to a HiDPI (Retina) monitor

You probably don't have a native Retina display on your Mac.

http://indesignsecrets.com/gpu-support-and-animated-zoom-arrives-for-mac.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would a Retina display be required for acceleration? Sounds like since it's not one of the officially supported video cards by Apple that Adobe have dropped the ball in regard to InDesign. Photoshop and Illustrator have not though, so all hope is not lost.

I have the same problem, but my video card has native drivers in the OS.

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.41.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.45.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-19 at 11.45.08 AM.png

Although it looks like they do test different cards for Photoshop though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't answer why the engineers made that decision. Perhaps, they decided to limit it at first, and expand the capabilities later on. It's unlikely that they will reply to this and tell you why that decision was made.

All I can point you to it to make a feature request here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the link is not longer avaible: https://adobe.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?BXNQNA

I'm in the same situation, I don't understand this Bug or they (engineers) just did't good job. 

But it is really shame, because I need to work every day with this app, and the other work fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Adobe has apparently not devoted much time to improving the GPU feature since it was introduced except for bug fixes. The standard troubleshooting answer when someone complains of a display issue when the GPU Performance preferences is turned on is to suggest turning it off. I leave the feature turned on, however I have not noticed any bugs I could report in the five or six years since the feature was added but they are reported every so often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Steve Werner, thank you for your reply in advance.

I found the link to make a request to this feature not included with InDesign. I hope nothing at all.

But, it is not a bug, is only a feature, because PS and AI works perfectly with this feature to GPU peformance. 

Thank you again and kinds regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines