• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adjusting the color of a layer? Is it really so hard?

Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I’ve a project made up of 3 sketches on 3 independent layers staked on top of one another in Photoshop CS6. There are 3 layers because it’s a design for a screen print that will have 3 colors.

Now that the drawing is done I want to adjust the colors of each layer until I find the right combination for a print run.

I thought this would be easy and I’m sue it is but it’s proving very difficult to work out by my self.

I can select the whole layer or I can select a color or mask off part of the layer. I can, I think, select with the magic wand and change colors that way but all these methods are time consuming and very fiddly.

I just want to be able to select the layer and use the color picker or better use a set of sliders to control the hue saturation and luminescence of the whole layer; but I just cant see how to do it…

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

This is just a variation on what Dave has said, but if you just want three colors then why not use three Solid Color adjustment layers with clipping masks. You can then just adjust the individual colors by double clicking each Solid Color layer

colors.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Add a Hue and Saturation adjustment layer above the layer you want to adjust. If you just want to impact the layer immediately below, Alt click on the border between the adjustment layer and the pixel layer below, and a little right angle with downward arrow will appear. This means it will clip to that layer. below and will not affect layers further down the stack.

You could add this to each layer if you so wish

If you highlight the adjustment layer, the properties will give you the sliders you need

Note : these sliders will adjust the layer colors - clicking Colorise will apply the color chosen by the sliders to the layer. You will soon see the difference.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a variation on what Dave has said, but if you just want three colors then why not use three Solid Color adjustment layers with clipping masks. You can then just adjust the individual colors by double clicking each Solid Color layer

colors.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thinking Terri

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the explanation on how to do this, it's been a really help.

I'm a little unsure about the color mask though Terri, is this made through the mask part of the hue and color layer I'm adding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Terri is using is a clipping mask. The color layers are solid color adjustment layers that can easily be changes. The will only show up on whatever pixels show on the layer below. You apply a clipping mask by pressing the alt/opt key and clicking between the layers in the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your help. The mask and solid color layers give much better color picking windows for quickly trying lots of different color combinations, but this set up dose not move between programs well, the hue and adjustment layers work better for this. I'm sure both will come in helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I don't have it completely worked out but I think I see how the clipping mask would work. I do need to try and move the projects over to Krita at some point still to use the Print Tone there. Do you think the masks would work better moving back an forth?

Can anyone see any advantages to one method or the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines