Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not sure how to produce a desired effect

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Below is a 'still' of an animation I want to produce in after effects.  Each player will be moving onto screen, and I want to have this smokey, whispy, effect on them the entire time.  I know sandstorm is a good kit for this kind of work, but I don't think it works on videos.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

test.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

You might get something close with the "Roughen Edges" Effect layered in with other elements.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 9.33.58 PM.png

Are you sure you want to distress the team logo (even as a background element)?  In my experience with broadcast graphics, you can distress additional graphic elements, but never the team logo itself.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Sandstorm?  Google isn't helping.  How does it make backgrounds?  What kinds of files does it make?  Can it animate?  Enlighten me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Here is a youtube video for it.

Sandstorm Photoshop & After Effects Motion Kit - YouTube

While searching some tutorials for disintegration and how to potentially get that effect on only parts of the image, which seemed like a correct direction at the time, I came across this.  You can use it in both photoshop and after effects and use the paint brush to select certain areas of color to animate.  That is exactly the look I want to go for, but with someone moving.  Not a still photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only skimmed that link, but it doesn't look like that thing works with video files,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are dozens of ways to create smokey effects in AE. Fractal noise and track mattes is just one way. You can also use 3rd party plug-ins like Trapcode Particular or Borris FX...

What is your experience level with AE? If you are pretty good at understanding blend modes, track mattes and fractal noise you should be able to knock something out in a few minutes. Let me know if you want to have a step by step..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  I have quite a few years with After Effects, so I feel very comfortable with everything you mentioned.  Yes, I was considering using Trapcode Particular for this, but it seemed like multiple layers may have to be used resulting in a very, for lack of better term, dense project. 

I wouldn't mind having a simple step by step just to be have something to reference as I move forward, as long as you wouldn't mind.  I'm already envisioning it in my end, but again, it seems like it could get a bit complicated with the parts of the player that look ghost like.  The particles/fractal noise will be easier.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a couple of particular layers and 3D elements you can achieve a very great sense of depth in your smokey stuff.

You could almost exactly duplicate the sample screenshot with just a couple of fractal noise layers. I haven't got time to throw together an example this evening. If I get some time in the AM I'll try and do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No rush!  Even just a brief overview of your thoughts is sufficient.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might get something close with the "Roughen Edges" Effect layered in with other elements.

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 9.33.58 PM.png

Are you sure you want to distress the team logo (even as a background element)?  In my experience with broadcast graphics, you can distress additional graphic elements, but never the team logo itself.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Warren,

Roughen edges would work great for the actual player.  I think that would help with using mattes for that, so thank you.  As far as the logo goes, this was definitely a concept and I have yet to get push back, but I 100% know where you are coming from!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AngelaA,

How did you end up solving this issue? Can you mark any of these responses as the correct one? Giants fan here, BTW!

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kevin,

Between the roughen edges comment and using lots of particle cc layers, I have come close to getting the desired effect.  Still tweaking it, but I'm happy to say that a lot of progress has been made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines