• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing when trying to flow imported text

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on updating a redevelopment plan, and when I go to import a Word file and flow text through the columns, InDesign crashes.  I've accepted all changes in the Word document, and have also removed all styles within the document to no avail.  I'm using a recently-updated version of the 2017 release.  Has anyone had this problem, if so how did you correct?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a .docx file? What happens if you save it as the old .doc format and try again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried both .docx and .doc.  I was able to flow a .docx in a separate document after removing all styles in the Word document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file full of tables, or graphics, or both? And how many pages is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently five pages.  One picture on the cover page, 3 master spreads, and hardly any text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What?? That's not normal. Are you comfortable posting the file on dropbox so that I can take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am open to sharing on dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great. Put it up on dropbox and either share the link here, or send me a PM (by hovering over my name and clicking on message). I have a conference call in about 15 minutes, so if it isn't there before, I'll look right after.

Are you using a template for InDesign, or are you importing into a brand new document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the files you sent imported exactly as expected with File > Place. Is that what you are using? I'm on 2017.

Which word doc is the "correct one"? I can put it into a InDesign doc and send it back to you, if that would help. My call starts in 2 minutes though, so it will be in about an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, I use Ctrl+D to place.  I'm on 2017 as well.

All of them are "correct" in terms that I've tried each document with each document crashing InDesign.  If you could get it to work and send a working document back, that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course, the question is why this is happening to you. You might reset preferences and if that doesn't work, uninstall/reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines