Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

psd mac/pc compatibility

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

A client has sent me a .psd file he created on mac. I could download the file on my desktop (I am using a PC) and it popped out with the correct .psd icon; however as I opened it all I got was a single flat image of what were supposed to be multiple layers. I had the file resent multiple times but the problem remained - i.e. for some reasons my .psd file did not retain the layer information and transformed in a single flat image.

By the way, we are both using Photoshop CC.

Can anybody help?

Thank you

Giampa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

How is the client sending this file? If he sends it as an email attachment without at least zipping it, the server might be flattening it. Have the client right-click on the psd in the Finder and select "compress".

Otherwise Mac layered files can be opened up on a PC, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the client sending this file? If he sends it as an email attachment without at least zipping it, the server might be flattening it. Have the client right-click on the psd in the Finder and select "compress".

Otherwise Mac layered files can be opened up on a PC, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

We have exchanged the file via email (gmail).

We have now switched to Dropbox and everything seems to be fine.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call, Gene. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Terri, Might as well explain:

I have a 58 layer psd from a Japanese CG artist who crafted it on a G4/450MHz Mac on Photoshop 5.5 back in 1999. I've never had it flatten, Mac or PC and it still opens in CC 2017.

So decided to check Google, and yes, directly attaching it to email was listed as a possible culprit. Also print metadata can be lost doing it that way.

Client sends a print ready psd @300ppi and you get it as 72ppi. So direct attachment to email is a bad thing.

Size limits 5-10 MB and email servers mangling the file are just two reasons email is not much good for any more than a small jpeg.

Email keeps flattening the layers on my psd and... |Official Apple Support Communities

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needless to say the Mac and PC PSD file formats are interchangeable. Is it possible the client is not saving the PSD properly by clicking layers in the Save As dialog?

layerOn.png

Have them send you the file as a Tiff that is setup as shown as there are more options to choose for saving layers

format interchange.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines