Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can the custom button image be changed?

Aug 11, 2008 Aug 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH 7 HTML to create a .chm file. I want to change the button image on a custom button (or on the home button) but can't find a way to do this. Is it possible to do so and if so how?

Thanks so much for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Possible? - yes
Easy? - Perhaps if you are a programmer. Not so easy for a typical help author.

Most just accept that the icons are WYSIWYG.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two programmable buttons in the window of a CHM project.
(Project Setup > Windows > MyWindow > Properties)
Maybe you can use one of them. Does anyone know how they work?

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Derek,

Those two buttons just link to help topics or Web pages. You can't change their button images or functionality.

It's (just about) possible to add custom buttons to the toolbar by using a third-party DLL, HWServer.dll, which you can obtain from here:

http://www.helpware.net/hwserver/

However, the procedure for using this DLL is somewhat tortuous, to say the least, and you must install it on all your users' computers. For these reasons, I'm unaware of anyone who is using it.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super. Thanks for the info. Another question. I want to link the custom button to our website. I can get the link to company.com to work fine but I want to link to a specific page (ie., http://www.company.com/index.php?page=customer-care&hl=en_US). The compilation fails when I put this URL in. Is there a way to link to a specific page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you certain the compilation is failing? I ask because links to external URLs will cause a note to be issued when compiling. Normally the note can be safely ignored.

If the compilation is truly failing, you could probably work past it by creating an HTML page you would use as a redirect. Then simply link to that page from the button.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does the compilation fail or do you just get a bogus error message like this?

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling http://www.company.com/index.php...

This message appears because the compiler isn't smart enough to distinguish between local topic files and Web pages that are stored remotely on a server. Thinking that everything is stored locally, the compiler displays an error message when presented with a URL that it can't resolve.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct that when I link to company.com I get the "bogus" error HHC5003. That one I ignore. However, when I try to link to the customer care page, the .chm doesn't compile properly (shows no Tabs - Contents, Search), displays only one page.

How would I create a redirect?

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

To create a redirect, just create a basic topic. Then change the view to see the HTML. Near the top you should see a list of meta tags. They look like this:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp - www.adobe.com" />

So you add another tag that looks like this:
<meta HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.company.com/index.php?page=customer-care&hl=en_US">

Be sure to save the page before returning to the edit or WYSIWYG view.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to get this far but now I'm having the same issue posted by another user -- the preview works fine and the page is displayed but in the compiled help I get an error saying the page cannot be found.

Ideas?

Thanks a mil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Where exactly did you place the redirect page? I ask because it's a common issue that folks stick one in a folder and forget that when they configure where the optional button goes, they forget to include the folder path.

For example, you may have pointed to simply "redirect.htm". But you actually have the page in a folder named maybe External_Links. If this is the case, the field where you specify the HTML paget or URL to open should reflect:

External_Links/redirect.htm

Hopefully that gets you squared.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yeah, works perfect now. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp