• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Virtualizing AE installs for cloud-based rendering

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings AE experts! First post on the forums here...

I'm in the process of leveraging Microsoft Azure for cloud-based rendering using After Effects. I was able to package up files for AE CC 2017 into a nice .zip file. I tested by extracting these files to machines that did not have AE installed and was able to run aerender.exe no problem.

I am having a problem getting AE to run on a virtualized Windows Server 2012 r2 instance in Azure though, with absolutely zero information from AE about why it fails to launch. The error message I receive is: "Your application install seems to be damaged, Please reinstall the application."

After contacting support, they informed me that AE CC 2017 won't work on virtualized hardware, which I find hard to believe given the advancement of virtualization in the last 5 years.

Does anybody else have insight on how to isolate aerender.exe to run in a virtualized environment?

Much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

I was, yes! This issue dealt with the fact that I had "hide filename extensions" ON, and my filename was essentially named "ae_render_only_node.txt.txt"

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Server 2012 r2

Where was it ever written that AE supports any server OS, even more so on virtualized systems where you run into layers and layers of permissions and file access problems due to the sandboxing? That aside I'm sure it can be made to run in some fashion, but you are strictly on your own. This is simply an unsupported scenario. Your information is way to sparse for anyone to begin to make sense of it, anyway.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to use the Creative Cloud Packer to create a package, and install it onto the server (finally). This got me past the initial error. Now, no matter where I put the "ae_render_only_node.txt" file, I'm not able to get aerender.exe to get past the "unable to obtain a license" message.

Note: the OS is installed on "d:\" (not c:\)

Here are the locations I've tried to put the file, to no avail:

c:\users\[username]\documents

c:\users\public\documents

c:\users\public\documents\adobe

c:\users\public\public documents

c:\users\public\public documents\adobe

d:\users\[username]\documents

d:\users\public\documents

d:\users\public\documents\adobe

d:\users\public\public documents

d:\users\public\public documents\adobe

The blog post here is actually incorrect, as it states "..\My Documents", which is incorrect.

Does anybody know where I should put the ae_render_only_node.txt file so that I can execute aerender.exe without activating the software?

*edit* It might also be important to note that when I activate the software on the server, I'm able to execute aerender.exe and use AE CC 2017 no problem. Once I sign out, it goes back to the "unable to obtain license" error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi UngerTime,

Were you able to solve your issue?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was, yes! This issue dealt with the fact that I had "hide filename extensions" ON, and my filename was essentially named "ae_render_only_node.txt.txt"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UngerTime which folder did you end up placing the ae_render_only_node.txt file? And can you help me understand how you were able to package the app into a zip that could be auto-deployed to your Windows instance when it's provisioned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UngerTime​

Hi, I am interested how you were able to:

"package up files for AE CC 2017 into a nice .zip file. I tested by extracting these files to machines that did not have AE installed and was able to run aerender.exe no problem."

I want to create an EC2 (AWS) windows server instance with AE installed on it and run aerender. But I am unable to install on these machines. Can you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines