• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Keyword Database sorting

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge database of transport museum/car show photographs.

I keyword all photos by manufacturer, model, year, etc.

The only way I have found to produce a slideshow that displays all of a particular model of a car by year is to maintain the Title Field with the year of manufacture and manually sort the slideshow by displaying the title in the Grid View and sliding the photos around, (which "crashes" every 40 or so shifts meaning restarting the database).

So when I choose something like Ford Mustang which produces 300+ Mustangs to shuffle, it takes quite some time to reorganise. I save the slide show, so when I go to the next car show and add another 20 or so Mustangs, I then at least have a head start to manually shuffling them back into the slideshow in the correct places.

It would be really great to have a single numerical field in the database - in my case always the title field - that I could tell the filters to sort by, which would save me hours of work

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Feature requests should go to Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature requests should go to Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Data Explorer plugin will let you sort by pretty much any field, e.g. Title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Export Filter as I read it.

I am not exporting anything, I am simply trying to use metadata to produce a slideshow within Lightroom - In the Lightroom Slideshow Module.

I am trying to use the Metadata that is presented in the Library Filter of the Library Module.

I am using the Title Field, populating it with the year of manufacture for everything I photograph, then by viewing the Title Field in the Library Grid, I have to manually shuffle the the photos into year order to get the slideshow as required.

What I am looking for some way of doing is using the Library Filter to perform a sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Export Filter as I read it.

No, it groups and sorts in Library view into collections. But I was mistaken -- it doesn't do Caption and Title. 

However, this plugin does sort by Title, Caption, or many other fields into a collection -- I just verified it with my copy: https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/jbeardsworth/listview/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will explore this one further - It looks much more promising.

Plus - I HAVE EGG ALL OVER MY FACE -

I am using Copy Name NOT Title - may have had a very senior moment when I typed this enquiry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

List View can also sort by Copy (what it calls Copy Name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I don't understand how to use this?

I was expecting when I ran it to see the grid view reorganise itself into the sorted order of the digits I have put into the Copy Name Field.

What ever I have tried I just end up with the Grid looking the same as when I started. Even if go go back and reselect the result under the Data Explorer Filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[View this post on the Web to see the embedded screenshot]

Oops, sorry for the delay in responding. In the List View plugin, set the first column to Copy, set Sort By to Copy, and then click the button "Close to (sorted) collection":

The selected photos will be added to the collection List View > Sorted By Copy.  If you select that collection and then do View > Sort > Custom Order, you'll see the photos sorted by Copy Name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - done this now. it changes the order in the copy column.

When I click close to (sorted) Collection, I get a new collection with the new name but still in the exact same oder as before I did the sort?

I have tried it several times - selecting all the photos first in the grid, not selecting them all, setting up only 19 test photos to stay in the limit of the software before I prove it and pay some money etc - but I always end up with a new collection which is an exact mirror of the starting collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The final step is View > Sort > Custom Order -- did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps I am taking - I must be missing something.

Starting Position.JPG

Copy Name is at the top right of each preview.

Select Copy Field.JPG

Save by sorted copy.JPG

Sorted by copy.JPG

This looks exactly as I would expect.

Save by sorted copy.JPG

Nothing has changed.JPG

I think this following your instructions, but maybe I have missed some vital step somewhere?

Many Thanks

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[View this post on the Web to see the embedded screenshot.]

Did you do View > Sort > Custom Order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant

Terrific

I was totally oblivious to these final steps.

Many many thanks for your explanation and patience in getting this through to me.

I can now put hours of repetitive manual drag and drop behind me and get back into life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines