• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Bullets list I added-to by option-clicking Bullets on my Mac, disappeared.

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why?

And when I created it again, how do I make sure it doesn't disappear again?

Thank you,

Morty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you building bullets into a Paragraph Style? That is the re-usable preferred way.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean, Michael.

I built the list so that as I go through my 390-page document,

I can insert various ones here and there—not necessarily in text lists

(though sometimes), but for decorative purposes.

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bit hard to understand what you mean, but my thought is basically: Build a paragraph style that automates the addition of bullets. Do not manually hand type bullets into little text frames and move them around physically.

Paragraph Styles are everything to the production of a multi-page publication.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I wasn't clear, Michael.

Allow me to explain my book, since it isn't being created in InDesign:

I've placed a 390-page Microsoft Word doc in InDesign CC 2017, 141 b&w visuals (photos, illustrations) included.

The Word doc is basically formatted the way I want it to be in the book I'm going to have printed,

though of course I've had to change the typeface to a basic Minion Pro, and I'll be changing some

headings to another typeface, and I'll have to add captions to visuals.

I'm rarely using bullets in paragraphs as such. I'll be using them for decorative inserts here and there.

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try opt+8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want it automated, Michael.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the most efficient way to work with bullet lists:

• Highlight the list with the Type tool
  • Choose the ¶ view of the Control panel, click on BulletsInDesign CCss_005.png
  • Alt/Opt click on Bullets if you need to customize how they look. Click on OK.
    InDesign CCss_007.png
  • Window > Styles > Paragraph Styles
  • With the bullet list still selected, Alt/Opt click on the New Style button
    InDesign CCss_010.png
  • Simple change the name to Bullets. Activate Apply Style to Selection, Disable Add to CC Library. Click on OK
    InDesign CCss_008.png
  • Now the style is available in the Paragraph styles panel. Whenever you encounter a list, select it and click on Bullets.
    InDesign CCss_009.png

Using styles, you will have a consistent treatment of bullets throughout the document. You can edit the style and change all of them at one time, if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd done that originally, BarbBinder, except for "Apply Style to Selection, Disable Add to CC Library."

My problem was, the added-to Bullet list was no longer there when I next opened my document.

Allow me to explain my book, since it isn't being created in InDesign:

I've placed a 390-page Microsoft Word doc in InDesign CC 2017, 141 b&w visuals (photos, illustrations included.

The Word doc is basically formatted the way I want it to be in the book I'm going to have printed,

though of course I've had to change the typeface to a basic Minion Pro, and I'll be changing some

My numbered and bulleted places are rare, but I want to be able to place some decorative

type here and there. Nothing really based on paragraph. I'll need to add captions too.

Thank you,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mortyfromqueens wrote:

Nothing really based on paragraph. I'll need to add captions too.

Morty

Microsoft Word uses styles. Everything is based on the style called Normal when you start, and sometimes Word will create styles based on your formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mortyfromqueens wrote:

To clarify, when you say "Option-clicking bullets" do you mean:

1. Option + 8 which yields the bullet character

2. Option + click the bullet button in the Control panel which brings up Options for Bullets and Numbering that you are using in conjunction with the Bullets and Numbering feature.

We need to know exactly what your workflow is to know why they are disappearing now. Or you can use the best practices workflow that Barbara gave you and they shouldn't disappear again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant Option-click the bullet button in the Control panel.

I'm not sure what you mean by my "workflow," but here's my set-up:

I've placed a 390-page Microsoft Word doc in InDesign CC 2017.

though of course I've had to change the typeface to a basic Minion Pro, though I'll be changing some

My numbered and bulleted places are rare, but I want to be able, with Captions, to place some decorative

type here and there. Nothing really based on paragraph.

Thank you, jane-e,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have got a good advice: Create a Paragraph Style for bullets. NEVER work with manual formatting and overrides as you do now and those problems you are experiencing are caused by this mal behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morty,

When you choose File > Place and place a file from Word, InDesign uses whatever is currently in your Import Options. You can turn this feature on to see it in the Place dialog box or by using the shortcut of Shift. InDesign is looking. It's optional if you do.

The default is that InDesign will use the Paragraph and Character styles from Microsoft Word, so if you have set up your Word document properly with all Styles and no local formatting, it should work correctly in InDesign.

If you don't use styles in both programs, you get problems as you are experiencing. They may get worse as you continue formatting your document. Both programs have a feature that will highlight all text that has overrides (local formatting) so you can make sure every single piece of text is properly assigned a style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I looked-over and made selections in Import Options (some of which I wanted—or thought I did) already selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mortyfromqueens wrote:

Why?

And when I created it again, how do I make sure it doesn't disappear again?

I am going to try to answer your question instead of giving you advice, because several of us have done that.

1. The "why" is because you are not using styles and don't "want it automated"

2. You can't stop it from happening again without styles, but you can fix it when it breaks by doing it again.

Does that answer both of your questions?

Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines