• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White spots when exporting to PDF (EPS file links)

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need help here.

I'm working on a map design on Illustrator.

Files are exported as EPS and linked to an indesign file.

After exporting to PDF, white spots can been seen. How do I remove this?

I've checked the Illustrator file and there's no issues. Screenshots attached.

Illustrator preview:

illustrator preview.png

After exporting to PDF from Indesign:

after exporting to pdf from indesign.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Where Willi's advice is sound, this should still not be happening, even using EPS.

There's something in the artwork causing those parts to Knockout - I don't think saving to a different format will resolve that.

Check your artwork for transparencies, spot colours, and how those white areas are set, if set to overprint, knockout etc.

We need a little more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using EPS or any other form of postscript.

Save an Illustrator file as AI or as PDF/X-4 and place that.

EPS is an old, outdated and lossy file type as it does neither support transparency nor color management and has several other issues. EPS is a file type which was never further improved since the late 90s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where Willi's advice is sound, this should still not be happening, even using EPS.

There's something in the artwork causing those parts to Knockout - I don't think saving to a different format will resolve that.

Check your artwork for transparencies, spot colours, and how those white areas are set, if set to overprint, knockout etc.

We need a little more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, when I have no time to investigate, I just select problem object (Tasmania, New Zealand, etc. in your case) and just copy ALL attributes from an identical but "working" area, let's say, from Australia. This way you sometimes fix the problem even without knowing what it was...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to solve the issue somehow.

Had to flatten transparency although this didn't appear previously in the previous files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should NEVER flatten transparency, this is done anyway with saving as EPS. You should change your workflow and work with AI and PDF instead of EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines