• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign unstable with imported copy from MS Word?

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, been getting a few problems with ID becoming very tetchy about copy imported from Word docs, particularly ones that've done the rounds of different writers before submission for setting, files including large numbers of tables etc within the document - are there any industry standard guidelines for handling these? (Other than don't do it and stick with InCopy?!)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had that experience. Can you tell us what version of InDesign and what operating system? What exactly, is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it's CC 2017 on Windows 10, importing copy from a Word document (sometimes convert to RTF before importing but doesn't always prevent the problem), it seems to get tetchy around tables and if there are any extra returns before a table, or page breaks, (try to find and replace those before importing however), or inline graphics. What tends to happen is part way through a document I'll hit a point where I need to pull the start of a table back, or move an inline graphic back to previous page, and it will crash - this usually seems to be associated with losing a break or a return, it will then crash every time I try to delete or reformat one, sometimes can't fix without deleting the entire chapter around it (have taken to using book function for relatively short documents just to try to work around it and have the problem areas isolated).

Have the feeling some of the source Word files have had a long 'history' to them through a multiple users at different locations and possibly switching from Mac to PC in the process - not sure that has any bearing. Doesn't happen on every job, sometimes can set a relatively long one with no problems at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it make a difference if the file is a .docx file or a .doc? When I have trouble with the import, I'll often save the Word doc as the old .doc format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BarBinder, they're usually .doc files I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you accepted all "track changes" before placing (or copying). If problems with copying, try placing the doc.

What i always do (with a macro) replace all the italics, bolds, underlines, ... with real character styles in Word. In my INDD file I created the corresponding char styles. When you import the file, the char styles are kept.

Tables, well, I don't have a real solution for them, sometimes I have to recreate the tables ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gert, usually import them using 'place' - authors haven't always been conscientious with their stylings in Word - perhaps that's a factor, locally styled italicisations etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are on lynda.com, watch this title from Ann-Marie:

https://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Using-Word-InDesign-Together/122930-2.html

If not, use the free trial for first time users or join for a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines