• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality of rotated shapes and images Indesign CC

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found some really complicated fixes for this issue on other forums, mostly relating to fixing the quality of rotated PNG and JPEG images, but I am wondering if there isn't a simpler solution since I am just working with a rectangle created in InDesign. I am creating a pretty simple image of a silhouette of a bookshelf. I want some of the books on the bookshelf to be leaning so I have rotated them slightly. When I do that, the edges become very jagged. It is less noticeable once I export the document to a PDF, but you can still tell that the tilted rectangles don't have smooth straight edges like the rest. I have the display performance on high quality so that's not it.... It's not really important enough to go through a long complicated process to fix it, is there an easy fix/ workaround for this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

If a rotated line looks jagged on the screen it has to do with antialiasing settings on screen and the screen resolution. On print, it should be ok.

BTW you should make this task in Illustrator. Don't use PNG for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You drew them in InDesign, and they are drawn artwork not PNGs or JPEGs, correct? I can't reproduce it. Can you select one and show the Layers panel and Control panel or say more about how you drew it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you did exactly what I did, your edges are a bit distorted but not like mine were. If Willi is correct then it won't matter much as long as it looks right when I print, but I was able to get it to look a bit smoother in InDesign by adding outline to the shape after tilting it. Maybe that is why yours aren't as distorted as mine were, your shape is outline only and mine had none. For shites and giggles this is the almost finished product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The jagged came in when I copied and pasted into here and it rasterized it — no jaggies in InDesign.

Your bookshelves came out great—except mine never look like that, they are stuffed to the gills!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a rotated line looks jagged on the screen it has to do with antialiasing settings on screen and the screen resolution. On print, it should be ok.

BTW you should make this task in Illustrator. Don't use PNG for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I hope you are correct as I have not done a test print yet. Thank you for the advice, unfortunately I don't have Illustrator, just InDesign This isn't a PNG though I drew it in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines