• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CINEMA 4D as "renderer" option in "Composition Settings"

Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm working today on a 2015 iMac with AMD M390 (2Gb) GPU.

So I am adapting to CC17, and I notice that "CINEMA 4D" is now available as an option under "Renderer" in the comp settings panel.

Can anyone tell me about this new option? Pros and cons? I'm doing relatively simple 3D titling using Ae native 3D text (not round-tripping to C4D), and as I said above, my GPU is not nVidia, so the "Ray-Traced 3D" renderer makes my system chug quite badly.

I assume there is already a thread out there discussing this, but as usual couldn't find it using the forum tools - many thanks to anyone who can respond or just direct me to the right thread.

Happy Monday!

Eric D - CoralVision

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Here is information about the CINEMA 4D renderer for 3D compositions in After Effects:

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/whats-new-changed-in-after-effects-cc/

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/faster-3d-text-and-logo-workflows-in-after-effects-cc/

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/cinema-4d-composition-renderer.html

You are confusing the 3D renderer with the GPU acceleration for effect rendering. These are similar, so the confusion is understandable, but it is worth pointing out t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, how does this relate to the "Metal" rendering option we saw in the last version, which is now removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branched off a copy of my project and switched over to C4D renderer, after adjusting some settings I like the results. Frames rendering slightly faster (my perception, not measuring/timing anything - I have a job to do, I'm not a tester/bench-marker)), and I like the way it is behaving as I modify light options and material options. More later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is a funky wrinkle - Over in PrPro the rendering settings are still the same as in CC15.4: "OpenCL" and "Metal" are the options.

I wonder what the implications are when bringing in a dynamic linked comp set to CINEMA 4D for the renderer? Will it matter? If it works well, I have no problem with confusing nomenclature. IF anyone has expertise/insight, would you take a moment to explain? I'll let you know how my real-world work goes...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is information about the CINEMA 4D renderer for 3D compositions in After Effects:

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/whats-new-changed-in-after-effects-cc/

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/faster-3d-text-and-logo-workflows-in-after-effects-cc/

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/cinema-4d-composition-renderer.html

You are confusing the 3D renderer with the GPU acceleration for effect rendering. These are similar, so the confusion is understandable, but it is worth pointing out the difference.

The 3D renderer is a per-composition setting in After Effects; there is no analog for this in Premiere Pro, since it does not render in 3D. You may wish to change this per-composition, depending on the result you want to achieve. It only applies when you have 3D layers. The differences between the 3D renderers (Classic, CINEMA 4D, and Ray-traced 3D) can significantly change the functionality of 3D rendering in After Effects. They use very different math, often to achieve the same result but also often different.

GPU acceleration for effect rendering is a per-project setting in After Effects; there is a similar setting in Premiere Pro. You generally set this once to match your computer's capabilities. It applies when you are using certain GPU-accelerated effects. (As of After Effects CC 2017, this list is relatively short, but growing with each release. This setting also enabled GPU-accelerated debayering of RED camera .r3d footage.) Premiere Pro's GPU-accelerated rendering applies more universally, as its GPU acceleration functionality is more mature. The difference between the different GPU technologies (software; OpenCL and Metal on macOS; or OpenCL and CUDA on Windows) do not change the functionality, and most often produce the same rendered results. They use similar math, albeit through different code, to achieve the same results; sometimes there are minor rendering differences.

> Also, how does this relate to the "Metal" rendering option we saw in the last version, which is now removed?

Metal is still available as a GPU acceleration option in both After Effects and Premiere Pro. It requires macOS 10.11 or later, but it is also disabled in certain configurations in order to avoid stability and rendering problems. Metal is still a relatively young technology that Apple is developing, and for the moment OpenCL generally gives better results, but we are continuing to develop for Metal and consult with Apple and the GPU manufacturers when problems occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent and thorough explanation, Tom.

Thank you for your work responding to my question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines