Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nothing happens when I double click an ID file

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague and I have this problem.

The work around that seems to work for him is the drag-and-drop method - drag the .id file into the already open Indesign.

That doesn't work for me.

The other work around is going to File > Open then navigating to the file and opening that way.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

We're both on the latest version of CC, all up to date.

I'm running :

Window 10 Pro

Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 @ 3.5GHz

16MB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro K1200

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Thanks for everyone's attempts but I worked out the issue, it was the fact I installed a heap of fonts, in total I had 1,986 installed.

This caused the lag when opening programs such as Indesign, Acrobat, Excel and Word.

I deleted all my fonts and reinstalled the defaults. All good now

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohan,

Can you please confirm what other versions of ID you have on your system. Can you check if by any chance InDesign is not default app for .indd files. If so, please try to set InDesign as the default application for indd files and theh open your files.

Thanks,

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monica,

No other versions of ID installed.

This was a new computer with a fresh CC install.

Checked default programs and they are as they should be.

Even if you right-click and Open With and select Indesign, same thing nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the file is not associated to InDesign

Google

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A large percentage of unknown problems have often been solved by resetting InDesign preferences. Try this and see if it solves it for you:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

Let us know if it works or not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Eternal Warrior,

Resetting preferences using the Ctrl + Alt + Shift method didn't work either

I have noticed that double clicking the file does open it, but it takes up to 5 minutes to open.

In fact just opening Indesign by itself takes up to 5 minutes to open, so I think this is more to the point of the issue.

Any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's attempts but I worked out the issue, it was the fact I installed a heap of fonts, in total I had 1,986 installed.

This caused the lag when opening programs such as Indesign, Acrobat, Excel and Word.

I deleted all my fonts and reinstalled the defaults. All good now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider getting yourself a font manager. That will allow you to install thousands of fonts but only have the relevant fonts open.

http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/10-most-popular-font-managers-for-mac-windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like you have an incorrect command line. It should look like:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2017\InDesign.exe" "%1"  (or whatever directory you have InDesign installed in). It sounds like your command line is missing the "%1"

There's a cool little program called File Types Manager which makes it easy to edit such command lines. It's free and will run from your desktop. No installation required:  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Open the program, select the file type (.indd). In the lower portion under Command-Line, if you have the correct path but it doesn't have the "%1" then that's your problem. Right click the Command-Line and Edit - add the "%1" to the path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines