• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with filters

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am working with filters on a very large print graphic (probably a no no?) and was wanting to know if there are any tips working with filters for use in print graphics.

I usually dont like to work with filters and try to do most work by hand, but I was wanting to give a photo a nice sketch/painting style effect.

I really like the effect of this tutorial: How to Create a Painting Effect – Photoshop Tutorial - Hongkiat :

The only problem is that when working with the filters the settings dont alway scale up to work with large images.

I tried working with the image smaller and scaling it up, but the result was quite blurry.  I have also tried applying the filters on the image as a smart object, but when scaling up it just re applies the filters and makes them smaller again.

Any thoughts on how to make these work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing the before and after?  You absolutely _must_ view at 1:1 zoom ratio to see how the post filter will look when printed.  You also need to consider the probably viewing distance for the finished print.

If you work with Smart Objects then you can keep adjusting the filter settings to make them work with a very high res image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The higher the dpi the more you have to work with the filters because there are more pixels. Your in the right direction you will just have to tweek it until you get what your looking for.

Always remember photoshop is raster and you are working with pixels. So you can make a big image smaller, but you can't make a small image big.

Now in illustrator you can make an object small to big and big to small because it's vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another challenge you might face is if you work in the CMYK color mode for print. Not all of the filters work in CMYK. I do all of my editing and compositing in RGB for this reason, and then I convert to CMYK at the end (if I have to convert).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of large format stuff. What I do is get the image to the right resolution and size then add filters which, when enlarging them, they'll definitely need at least some sharpening and a bit of grain to help them.

In that tutorial the layer effects/adjustments should be quite fast but anything from the filter gallery will be slow with large files. So to avoid long waits when playing with the filters is to marquee a portion of your large/enlarged graphic (usually a part with min & max detail and colour if you can) then go and play in the filter gallery, it'll run a lot faster. Then when you've got the desired effect 'OK' it - the filter runs - then 'Undo',  then 'deselect', then run the filter again over then entire image.

... and as mentioned RGB for most filters there but you can switch on CMYK preview.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my biggest issue is the fact the the filters don't have the same effect on large images as they do on small.  For example the angled strokes effect looks has a great cross hatch effect on smaller images (think under 2000px square) then when you apply it to a much larger image the strokes are tiny even with the adjustment sliders on the filter maxed out.  I think I'll just have to get it as high a res as possible with the effect looking good then size it up with something like Alien Skin Blow up plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh I see so the they filter doesn't scale up enough for your image, I don't a lot can be done about that. Sounds like enlarging the image after the filter is the only option.

Things I use to help the after effects of this procedure is using

- Paint Daubs

- Smart Blur

- Grain

All help tidy up blurring after enlarging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines