Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chapter Numbers in Indesign CS6 Book

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am forming a book in InDesign.

I have a Running Header on the Master page of the document that syncs to all the other Documents.  This is pointing at my Header 01 style, which in fact is numbered.

However, I have been told I could do with a Chapter number before the Running Header, but I'm not sure how to do this except by manually doing it which would be too much work.

I have a screen grab of my book list if this helps.

InDesign copy.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

The Document Chapter Numbering for Chapter_01 looks like this: Start at 1

The Document Chapter Numbering for 02 to 10 looks like this: Automatic

In addition, create the text variable as Barbara showed you, for the Chapter Header

Text > Text Variables > Define > New > Give it a name and define it

After it is defined, you can insert it into a text frame on your Master and / or to the insertion point in the Heading on page 1, for instance.

If something doesn't work, you can keep tweeking it until it doe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I have been told I could do with a Chapter number before the Running Header, but I'm not sure how to do this except by manually doing it which would be too much work.

Add a Chapter Number text variable to the master page:
InDesign CCss_017.png

Result on the master page:
InDesign CCss_018.png

Result on the body pages:
InDesign CCss_019.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also—

In Numbering and Sections, the Default is Automatic Chapter Numbering. If you have a TOC, then the second chapter of your book might be set to start at "1" and the rest stay on automatic.

If a large chapter is split into parts, you can use "same as previous".

(I don't have a book open, so there is no book name.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the replies.

So, I've just checked the Chapter number in my Chapter_01 document, which is number 4, which I presume is because its forth in the list (see my book list from my original post)?

So, do I change this to 1, then add a Chapter Title Text Variable to my master page?

What about Chapter_02, 03, 04, etc.  Do I need to change their numbers also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daz:

I answered the question you asked initially, Jane anticipated the follow-up question. Take a look at her post—she's showing you how to handle the numbering at the book level. And yes, you do have to have the chapter numbering set up for the text variable that I mentioned to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Document Chapter Numbering for Chapter_01 looks like this: Start at 1

The Document Chapter Numbering for 02 to 10 looks like this: Automatic

In addition, create the text variable as Barbara showed you, for the Chapter Header

Text > Text Variables > Define > New > Give it a name and define it

After it is defined, you can insert it into a text frame on your Master and / or to the insertion point in the Heading on page 1, for instance.

If something doesn't work, you can keep tweeking it until it does. Redefine the variable. Change the Document Numbering. Et cetera.

Ask here if it doesn't work perfectly. If you reorder any chapter except 01, the others update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thank you very much for both of your help!

First, I changed Chapter_01 to start at "1", I then added this to the Master Page with some pre (Chapter) and post ( - ) text.

Because I have to change the Figure and Table styles in the proceeding chapters (e.g. Chap02 - Figure 2,1, Chap03 - Figure 3,1, etc.), I changed the sync options to just sync Text Variables and Master Pages.

After updating my numbers and waiting in anticipation, all is working as it should 🙂

I actually have a TOC problem also, but I'm too busy with the remainder of this book, so I'll post the problem later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daz77 wrote:

After updating my numbers and waiting in anticipation, all is working as it should 🙂

Hooray!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane.  I put those chapter numbers in thinking I was putting page numbers.  How do I delete these chapter numbers?  I don't want them.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I did it! so easy. Sorry for the post. I must have been tired when I
last tried.

--
*If you won't risk anything, you risk even more.* *Erica Jong*

*Shift Happens—Breakdowns During Life's Long Hauls *can be purchased here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines