• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Last Chance to Save Project?

People's Champ ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently moved from 2014 to 2017.  In 2014 whenever I would get "After effects has stop working" I would be given one chance to save my project.  Since I started using 2017 AE has pooped on me no more than usual except now I am no longer given a chance to save.  I just lose everything since the last save.

Was the last chance a feature?  If so has it been removed?  If so........facepalm?

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations -- you may have found yet another undiscovered bug!

This Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program is really something, isn't it?  Why, just yesterday a heretofore-unknown bug was revealed!

Collect files - effects list ??

And here's the best part -- you get to pay Adobe every month for the privilege of doing THEIR JOB FOR THEM!  Isn't that just neat as all Hell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

come to think of it - I really haven't seen that message for a long time.. yet Ae has barely crashed on me in recent versions. auto save and increment save that's what I try to practice. I recall the times when I would load the task bar when Ae freezed to see if there is a movement in the KB loading and crossing my fingers... I have not done it in a long time. maybe it appears on some errors and some don't? I do remember it did not appear all the time and sometimes Ae would simply crash with an error and that's it. or even without notifying anything.

would like to know what happened to that message too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish wrote:

Recently moved from 2014 to 2017. In 2014 whenever I would get "After effects has stop working" I would be given one chance to save my project. Since I started using 2017 AE has pooped on me no more than usual except now I am no longer given a chance to save. I just lose everything since the last save.

Was the last chance a feature? If so has it been removed? If so........facepalm?

It has not been removed.

The last-chance-save was always dependent on how the application was crashing. Some crashes happen deep enough in the code that the entire application framework is taken down. Others are conditions that happen at a higher level and still require the application to quit, but enough of the framework is still running that the crash can be detected and the project can be saved. Sometimes there's an in-between state, where After Effects can't show you the dialog but will automatically save a copy of the project with the name "crash" appended.

That general description isn't specific to After Effects, by the way, that's just general application programming (give or take whether or not the given application offers you a chance to save).

And that's a long way of saving that last-chance-save doesn't always occur. My guess is that you were hitting it more frequently before.

Is the crash condition different in the current version, compared to the last? Are you able to reproduce the crash condition? If so, please file a bug via Adobe.com/go/wish and I'll ask the devs take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tim,

I'm surprised to say that I DO know the conditions under which AE used to crash, give me that error message and allow to save and

it's the same condition when the occasional crash has happened in this, the latest version of AE released a couple of days ago & the

previous version.

This particular crash has always occurred when dragging a file (always a vector file I believe but am not 100% certain) from Bridge to

the project panel & then immediately to the timeline.  I've always assumed I was just moving stuff around too fast & my computer got frustrated & dropped After Effects.  In the past though I was always given the last chance opportunity to save.  As far as I can remember since I started using 2017 this crash under the exact same circumstances has happened 3 times over the last couple of months and not given me the last chance.

I really appreciate your time. Let me know if there's any other information I can give you.

Thanks,

paul

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Paul. I've asked one of our engineers to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, could you share one or more files with us that cause the problem?

One of our engineers spent some time today trying to reproduce the problem based on your description, but so far has not been able to induce the crash.

Often in these cases, it's a matter of little details in the files being used, so getting a copy of your files will help us narrow down where the problem is.

Feel free to DM me if you prefer not to share publicly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, I keep posting under my work account.  I wish there was a way to avoid that.

Anyway one of the images is an Adobe Stock image and the other is public domain. Do you want me to upload them here?

I also tried to repeat the crash but could not.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images are publicly available, links to them would be sufficient. Uploading here is fine, too, if that's faster for you.

If the crash is not consistent for you, a screen capture video (or even a video taken with your phone/camera) of the problem would be most helpful, so we can observe what you're doing. (I know, I know, easier said than done when the problem is not consistent. But if it does happen again, see if you can repeat it while capturing. It could be a matter of timing, or where you click exactly, stuff like that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake neither of them is public but here they are if it helps.  Maybe Adobe owns the rights on them both anyway?

I will try to get some hard evidence next time it occurs.  I'm wondering though if the engineers are able to induce a "last chance save"

by any means at all? 

Sweat photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors & videos | Adobe Stock

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/dead-fish-polluted-pond-ecological-disaster-102245173

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm wondering though if the engineers are able to induce a "last chance save" by any means at all?

As I mentioned before, whether or not last-chance-save occurs is dependent on where in the code the crash is invoked. If the main application framework is still standing, it's possible. But if the application framework is taken down, nothing can be done.

Think about it like a martial arts match: if the crash kicks After Effects in the knee, it goes down but can limp off the mat; if the crash sweeps the legs, After Effects goes down hard and is not getting up.

The two links you shared are search results; can you be more specific about which images you were using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines