• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to an Excel table populated by another Excel workbook

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a project that involves extracting data from a database into Excel tables. The problem is that the Excel tables are poorly formatted by the software used so we created another Excel file with nicely formatted tables which is populated by linking to the other Excel file. Each time the data is extract the new Excel is populated. The tools are old and not going to be replaced anytime soon.

I setup Indesign CS6 to handle linking to Excel but when I placed the new Excel, the table was blank, empty rows and columns.

I'm guessing that since the new Excel is linked to the old Excel, isn't populated unless it is opened (you can see data when this is done) so I am importing a empty table.

Is there a way to get the data into InDesign in order to produce the reports I need?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

I would suggest buying some kind of database connection plugins for InDesign and not work with the Excel workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest buying some kind of database connection plugins for InDesign and not work with the Excel workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't agree more. Have a look at EasyCatalog from 65bits software. Automating and updatings tables can be done from a direct connection to the database.

If it's a money issue, you could give XML a try but you will have tough times

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both. I'll recommend EasyCatalog and hope for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines