Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems exporting a red image jpeg sRGB for facebook

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have huge problems exporting some pictures I shot in studio,  a red flash was the main light directed to the subject. Done the editing, my file is good and well exported both tiff and jpg. Once the file (.jpg) is uploaded on facebook, the image looks like if a super-low quality file 500px were oversized to 1000px: poor details, no sharp lines. Just a big "mess" think the right way to describe it is Jpeg artifacts. I've followed fb instructions about size and resolution ( 960px low res /  2048px hi res, 72dpi sRGB and less than 100k to avoid additional compression): nope. So I've tried different setup eg png8/png24/gif and tiff: nothing really happened, only .tiff files are slightly better, but still nothing acceptable ( on my test best tiff setup was both 960/2048px long, LZW compression, Image pyramid and Per channel). The same image in each extension without saturation (bw image) has no problem at all.. So, I did some research on google and ok, red colour images do have problems, I know, lossy compression is part of the problem.. facebook convert each image in upload so this is a problem too.. but, how can I solve this situation?? These images need to be uploaded on facebook and now, it is just impossible with this quality. Do any of you have any suggestion?

Thank u

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop cs6,     for jpg/png/gif-> Save for web,

for .tiff-> image size -> save as

lightroom5             both .jpg and .tiff -> export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Photoshop/Lightroom. Lounge is not for technical help so if you find that this area doesn't answer your question please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Kat, sorry I'm new here in the forum!

two screenshot here​.

screenshot_jpeg has on the left side the Facebook result and on right side the .jpg image.

screenshot_tiff has on the left side the Facebook result and on right side the .tiff image.

thanks.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the _tiff example I've also done a different pp, lower saturation of red, so maybe that's why on fb looks better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you link us to an example JPG before it get sent to FB so that we can see what you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facebook is a terrible thing to do to pictures.

My recommendation would be to see what size facebook wants to display the image at, then export that size from Lightroom. When an image gets resized, it needs to be resharpened, which I doubt FB is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facebook has attracted my interest lately-

J.Kost (Adobe) in a video recommends an export resize dimension of Long Edge = 960pixels.

Another Youtube video suggested 2048 or 1024 pixels (because facebook does not compress these sizes badly)

Jarod Platt on CreativeLive always re-sizes with Quality = 100 %  (Start with the 'best' before Facebook cuts it down.) In an earlier video suggests pixel size 980.

So is there really a 'correct' answer?

I am still learning the details of publishing with Lr!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uhmm... ok so there's no a "correct" or "better" export set up in ps/lr, to preserve red color images  so fb compression won't destroy everything, right? I've done a little research on fb and google and apparently, all red images have the same problem, no matters about the photographer or post production settings...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us links to some of the "facebook red picture" articles you have found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One technical point to consider (as I hope to understand it!) is that a raw image with the single red color may produce more noise. The raw de-mozaicing process has to interpret one red sensor cell in each pixel array (1 pixel  = 4 cells  1R 1B 2G)

Any sharpening process to the image may worsen the noise. Compression to JPG will then also worsen the JPG artifacts with resulting loss of detail.

I also am interested to see links for "facebook red picture" articles.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines