Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

With a single para style! …

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Using a single para style, is it possible?

Format this text [kind of "text module" of paras whose first one is particularly formatted playing with soft-returns to delimit 3 parts:

1st part (text before the first soft-return) ==> Bold, Caps, Red color

3rd part (text after the last soft-return) ==> Bold

2nd part (between the first and last soft-returns, eventually with other soft-returns)  ==> smaller char size

Note the space before the text in Red!

Before:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-21 à 13.22.07.png

After:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-21 à 13.22.23.png

(^/) 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Oups! Sorry! … Grep/Grep style!

When we want to use and build one, the more relevant approach is to test the grep code in a grep find/replace.

It's what we do! … and, alas, we see that the code find to much text parts!

Why? … In fact:

in ^[^\n]+\n , "multiline" is by default activated and this influences the behavior of the first ^ (end of para marker)!

So, each new line after a soft-return is "virtually" considered as a new para!

… but it will take in account the carriage return because it's not a so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to answer a question posed by someone or just showing off your own cleverness.

This is clever but would be more useful if you were to show HOW you do it, not just the results.

It's not a fancy trick to get that space above. Here's the format I would do to achieve this. (See, I don't just brag about what I can do. I show how.)

Start by showing the before and after:

Comparison.png

Now here's the paragraph style formatting:

Body Text style.png

Next here's the Nested Style settings:

Nested Style.png

Now here's the settings for those Nested Styles:

First the Red. It's the increased leading that causes the space above the paragraph. That is because InDesign treats leading as a character attribute.

Leading for character style.png

Next the character style for the smaller text. Instead of specifying a specific point size, I make it using the Hor and Ver Scaling so that I can change the basic point size without having to re-figure the amount for the smaller text point size.

Smaller text.png

It's probably an important example to show people. Too bad you didn't take the time to explain it yourself. I expect more from an ACP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep cool, Sandee! 

… If my question was so simplistic, I wouldn't post it! … and, sorry for you, it's a real question!

You may be an "expert" or a "guru" who doesn't need to learn something! It's not my case! I'm truly happy to learn every day ... And it's not because I have an ACP status that I've no questions that puzzle me! … So, stop talking to me about my cleverness, I expert more from you!

To return to our topic, before noting yourself your answer as correct [… that frankly annoys me!], give us a correct answer taking a really better look to my text sampleI

Best regards!

(^/)

PS: I let you note your answer above as "incorrect"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir,

If you posted the question as a real question that puzzled you, then how did you get the answer for your example. So obviously it is not a real question for you.

It may have been a real question that a student or colleague asked you. If so, congratulations on figuring out (or knowing) the answer.

And if it was a real question, you are correct that others would be interested in knowing how to do it.

BUT you haven't (and still haven't) posted how to do it.

For that I will not "keep cool". You have irritated me beyond belief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No personal comment on your susceptibility (public or private)!

Back to our topic, imho much more interesting, let's say that the formatted version I showed was "manually" done!

So, go ahead! …

Besides the fact that your approach is totally irrelevant here, my first question is:

Why is  ^[^\n]+\n  not efficient here and doesn't allow us to find only the beginning of the para [the text part I would like to have in "Red"]?

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obi-wan Kenobi wrote:

Why is ^[^\n]+\n not efficient here and doesn't allow us to find only the beginning of the para [the text part I would like to have in "Red"]?

I would love to answer your question but I have no idea where you want to put ^[^\n]+\n. If you were to show (not brag) about your technique we could have a true conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oups! Sorry! … Grep/Grep style!

When we want to use and build one, the more relevant approach is to test the grep code in a grep find/replace.

It's what we do! … and, alas, we see that the code find to much text parts!

Why? … In fact:

in ^[^\n]+\n , "multiline" is by default activated and this influences the behavior of the first ^ (end of para marker)!

So, each new line after a soft-return is "virtually" considered as a new para!

… but it will take in account the carriage return because it's not a soft return!

So, use: ^.+\n  will be more relevant [it excludes the carriage return]

It will only find each text part between a para beginning/soft return and another soft return.

()^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… So!

Why we can't use nested styles?

… Because there're paras without soft return! [test it!]

So, Grep styles!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now you have finally explained your technique.

If only you had started your "question" as an example with this information.

One should not have to go on and on to get the information from you. Do it from the start. Your namesake would not make it so difficult to gain knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No! … No! and No! 

It's only the beginning of an answer! …

Stop to play with "Correct/No correct answer"! There's actually no one!

I only said that it's more complex than it can be imagined!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How, imho, this could be played! …

One single para style and four grep styles without interference (the following crushing the previous one).

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 03.07.23.png

Grep Style 1:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 03.08.39.png

The code used is really interesting:  (?<!\n)^.+(?=\n(.+\n)+(.+\r))

As Uwe rightly said (in another topic), a grep style doesn't take in account the previous para, only the para where it is inserted!

… However, here, as "multiline" is strictly "called" [activated by default, (?m) ] and each line that finishes by a soft-return is so considered as the beginning of a new para, the code makes indirectly reference to the para above [in green, negative lookbehind making reference to a soft return: if no SR, we have the beginning of the story or a carriage return!!]! Note the positive lookahead [in red] making reference to the first soft return and all the following text until the end of the para.

Grep Style 2:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 03.09.12.png

As you see, I've "created" a virtual space before! adding a new leading only to the first char of the para!

Note this grep style is active ONLY IF a soft return is found in the para! That's why the other paras aren't touched!

Note too It's not possible to include this leading in the first grep style char style because this "Red" text could have more than 1 line!

Finally, note that 2nd grep style is just an addition to the first one!

Grep Style 3:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 03.43.38.png

Grep Style 4:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 03.43.57.png

To make you it clearer, I've applied different color conditions to the char styles:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 03.11.46.png

Done!

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading again the last post, The first grep code could be simplified as:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 04.42.00.png

The 2 first codes are similar: the 1st catching all text from the beginning until the first soft return, the 2nd only its first char!

Note:

(?<!\n)^.+(?=\n)  and  (?<!\n)^.+\n  have not the same behavior!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Obi-wan,

I did not test all the versions of InDesign yet, but at least (?<!\n)^.+(?=\n) using a negative lookbehind is not working as GREP style with InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.8. First I tried also (?<!\n).+(?=\n), but that did not work either with CS6. However a positive lookbehind seems to work with soft returns. E.g. this one: (?<=\n).+(?=\n)

Will test on later…

For all lurkers here a link to a related discussion at the InDesign Scripting forum:

InDesign GREP code help

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don’t get why you need GREP for this.

I haven’t seen any example that can’t be done with Nested Styles relying on the soft returns.

Show me that this works without those soft returns.

Or all this starts to resemble a circle jerk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sandee,

I think, this discussion is not only about solving a specific problem, but about understanding how exactly GREP styles work in contrast to GREP Find/Replace (F/R) throughout all versions of InDesign from CS4 to CC 2017. It seems, that there are some important differences between using the GREP patterns with styles or with F/R. Also changes how and why things are working/not working in different versions of InDesign. The how and why would be important to understand.

It could be that one method is indeed working with e.g. CS6 and would fail e.g. with CC 2017. Or vice versa.
So understanding this more deeply is desirably. A CS6 version document could be opened with a later version InDesign and the GREP style will fail or the result would be different…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the discussion should be moved to ID GREP scripting.

Because I thought Monsier I-Bin-Know-Bi, was posting a true question that would show newcomers how to use leading in a character style to create a specific look.

What you are describing is a circle-jerk of GREP coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, don't irritate Sandee! 

Sandee, maybe clearer with this:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-22 à 14.36.12.png

Applying your idea to my test sample, I hope you see you have a serious problem! 

… and it's totally normal: nested styles constructions are supposed to be played in really specific contexts!

Maybe someone else could make it understand if I can't!

Uwe, you're totally right! This kind of discussion is important for someone who wants to work with a professional vision!

Advanced features could generate a real mess if the op ignores their real behavior!

I see lots of people playing with soft returns in their layout! Our job is to prevent us they play with a real "time bomb"! …

(^/) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too late to not irritate me Mr. I-Be-Know-it-all.

You haven’t cleared up a single thing because your “mess” simply shows what happens when my solution is applied to text without soft returns.

But if you can do what you want without soft returns (and I know you can’t) then you are simply exploding gas out an orifice in your pants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender wrote:

… but at least (?<!\n)^.+(?=\n) using a negative lookbehind is not working as GREP style with InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.8. …

Hi together,

I think I found the culprit for this problem.

I simply did a typo in my GREP style pattern.

(?<!\n)^.+(?=\n) indeed is working as it should!

It's catching​ all the text from the beginning of the paragraph up to the first soft return.

Also with InDesign CS6.

Here my test document showing:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-22 um 16.35.17.png

Sorry again for my confusing reply # 12 !!

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi obi-wan,

I'm intrigued by that tomaxxiGREP panel, but the site seems to be dead

tomaxxi.com

don't suppose you know of an alternative location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines