• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I sign a document multiple times and save only once?

Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe standard XI. Every time I sign a document I have to save it. I need to sign many documents in multiple locations within the forms we use pretty much all day. How do I sign in multiple locations with my digital signature and save the file only when I am done?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

This is a common problem, but comes from trying to convert paper signatures too literally. Under no circumstances should you EVER be using a single digital signature to "sign in multiple places". This is inappropriate technically and legally, since a digital signature always applies to the WHOLE FILE every time. The visible mark on page is a mistake really; it's of NO IMPORTANCE in proving signing or validity. The signature panel MUST be used to check. I suspect you have been asked to get a visi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thomasr47161059,

Could you please confirm the exact dot version of Adobe Acrobat XI you are using.

By saving it, do you mean that you get configure option every time you try to sign document?

Could you please provide more information on this.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a common problem, but comes from trying to convert paper signatures too literally. Under no circumstances should you EVER be using a single digital signature to "sign in multiple places". This is inappropriate technically and legally, since a digital signature always applies to the WHOLE FILE every time. The visible mark on page is a mistake really; it's of NO IMPORTANCE in proving signing or validity. The signature panel MUST be used to check. I suspect you have been asked to get a visible mark on several pages. This should be done with a stamp. After the final stamp, you can use a digital signature too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This is what I needed!

Cheers,

-- T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really legally inappropriate or just unnecessary? In our particular instance it is in fact a state government that has asked us to use an SSL certificate backed signature anywhere we put our digital signature on our drawing files. If you have some sort of legal precedence to share please do so, then I can provide that to our client and hopefully get them to allow for just a single certification to the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, it's redundant and unnecessary. Legally, it would depend on the laws of where you live. If the law-makers in your country don't understand the technology involved then they might require a digital signature on each page. That's up to you to find out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah I'm pretty sure its that they don't understand the technology. When the state of Florida decided that they would accept digital signatures instead of actual wet stamps and signatures they at least did enough research to think of putting an identifiable security requirement like SSL but they were all over the map as to how they wanted it implemented. We will keep on them and try and get them to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what to do if i want to apply signature field in all pages.....

m using developer account and api for send document....i use this code to place signature field but it can only placed in one page or i have to write for all pages....

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->locations[0]->height = 20;

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->locations[0]->left = 70;

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->locations[0]->pageNumber = 2;

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->locations[0]->top =  165;

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->locations[0]->width = 200;

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->name = "SignatureOEPL".$Fid;

$sendDoc->documentCreationInfo->formFields[$Fid]->inputType = 'SIGNATURE';

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My concern from a legal point of view is this, and I'm not a lawyer: a digital signature, by definition, applies to the whole file. So it "proves" acceptance of the whole file. Yet, could someone argue, they didn't accept the whole file because they were misled into believing they were signing only a page? The difference could be huge... the architect digitally signs what she thinks is a page showing the building outline on page 7, but they are also accepting the plan on page 8 to build with not enough bracing, so the building - officially approved by that very architect - falls down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines