• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First PC build. Would love some feedback!

Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Mac pretty much exclusively for years, I'm finally jumping over to PC. I'm starting to get familiar with what I need for my first build. I'll be using it primarily for Premiere/After Effects, probably some Photoshop as well. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys since I'm pretty much going in blind on this. My ideal budget is $1500-$2000.

CPU:

Intel Core i7-5820K

-Narrowed down my search to either the 5820K or 6700K. From what I understand the 5820 has a slight edge when it comes to video editing.

Motherboard:

ASUS x99 Deluxe

-Was curious if this is a good choice... found a cheaper option in the ASRock x99 Extreme4 but figured it was best to invest in a quality motherboard.

GPU:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060

RAM:

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2 x 16GB)

Storage 1:

Samsung 256GB 950 PRO

-SSD for my OS and well as my Adobe stuff. I'll probably have Pro Tools on here as well.

Storage 2:

WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB

-HD for more or less everything else. Any HD related feedback? (brands, how many, which to use for what, etc.)

Power Supply:

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

CPU Cooler:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Case:

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Mid Tower

I should mention I'm an amateur film maker/photographer. I shoot in 1080/60p at the moment. That being said, I’m interested in moving up to 4k at some point in the future. Is this something I should take into consideration now? Anything specific I should invest in to make upgrades easier in the future? Monitor suggestions? Any feedback at all is much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Billy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

the 6 core i7-5820k is good for HD/1080p and some 4k, so it will be a good option to let you expand into some 4k. if you decide later that you want to upgrade the cpu the x99 platform will also allow for cpu's with more cores. the i7-5820k may be a good option if you find it on sale/closeout, otherwise the i7-6800k is its replacement and while it doesn't overclock as high, it should still be faster.

the ASUS x99 Deluxe was replaced by the ASUS x99 Deluxe II. it would be a good option if you need

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 6 core i7-5820k is good for HD/1080p and some 4k, so it will be a good option to let you expand into some 4k. if you decide later that you want to upgrade the cpu the x99 platform will also allow for cpu's with more cores. the i7-5820k may be a good option if you find it on sale/closeout, otherwise the i7-6800k is its replacement and while it doesn't overclock as high, it should still be faster.

the ASUS x99 Deluxe was replaced by the ASUS x99 Deluxe II. it would be a good option if you need or want the option for expansion later, otherwise the asus x99-a II is a more budget friendly motherboard that still has decent expansion.

make sure the gtx 1060 is the 6gb version. if going with evga make sure its not the acx 3.0 fan model.

16gb will be ok for 1080p, but if you are running several programs in the background or just want to get a head start on 4k, then you may want to consider 32gb. also look at fast ram, like ddr4-2666 - 3000 speeds.

the 950 pro was replaced by the 960 pro. the 960 evo is also very fast and could allow for larger capacity for the same price, but has less lifespan warranty vs same size model of the pro's. if your active projects are small enough, you could use samsung 960 evo 512gb or 1tb model for everything and use the 1tb or larger hdd just for archiving and backups. if you have a big picture library, you might want to have the pictures on the hdd.

the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 is being replaced by the G3 version. corsair rmx or rmi are some alternatives.

i would skip the Cooler master 212 evo cooler. the noctua d15S is the go-to cooler for x99 systems. its good for medium overclocking and is a quiet cooler. if not overclocking cryorig has some more budget friendly coolers like the cryorig H5.

for the case you may want to find something more like the fractal define R5. corsair has the carbide 330r which is somewhat similar, they both have 140mm fan spots in the front and noise dampening material. you will want to make sure whichever cpu cooler you pick can fit inside the case...

i don't have any specific monitors to recommend. there are lots of options when picking one to be aware of, like color accuracy, color spaces, bit depth, resolution, aspect ratio, etc, but also 4k HDR monitors are suppose to be coming out soon for pc's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response!! Lots of good info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I like the EVGA GTX 1060 (06G-P4-6163-KR) and actually bought a second one after testing the first one.  They simply and safely overclock readily
  2. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo but did add a second fan for push/pull operation
  3. I agree that the Samsung 960's are a better choice if you find them
  4. I hope you are not planning on putting any current Premiere project files on the hard disk drive.  They are ok for backup and archiving but all current Adobe Premiere project files must be on SSD's for smooth editing experience. You might consider a second SSD. The ASUS x99 Deluxe II has one M.2 socket on the motherboard and a PCIe adapter board to install a second full speed PCIe Gen 3 x4 M.2 SSD.
  5. On the RAM it is a quad channel motherboard so I would suggest getting 4 x 8GB for best memory utilization.  Since there are 8 memory sockets you still could upgrade to 64 GB later if you want.
  6. Here is what you will get with your 960.  Just imagine reading a file at ~3 GB/sec and my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) can actually write from Premiere at almost 2 GB/sec to these devices.  This is the 960 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines