External Editing Preference Settings

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR version 2015.8

PS version 2017.0.1

macOs Sierra version 10.12.2

1. What are the ideal settings in External Editing in general and if it concerns internet publishing in particular? Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.49.22.png
  2. How do I solve this issue:Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 19.42.59.png
  3. Photoshop Help redirects me automatically to Mac Help which does not contain Saving and Exporting Images as a topic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I don't think there is an "ideal setting", in fact I don't think the settings for external editors affect internet publishing in any way.
  2. If you are having Photoshop problems, you should post the question in the Photoshop forum
  3. Same as #2

Perhaps you could explain what "internet publishing" issues you might be having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. I'm editing in PS via LR (see 1).

3. See 2.

No issues concerning internet publishing (uploading an image on the internet (website/social media etc.), just wondering what the "ideal" settings would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but Photoshop is giving you the error, you need to ask in the Photoshop forum.

No issues concerning internet publishing (uploading an image on the internet (website/social media etc.), just wondering what the "ideal" settings would be.

I just don't see any connection between the settings of the Lightroom external editing dialog box, and internet publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For external editing, choose Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.

But images going on the web should always be in the sRGB color space.

So when you export from Lightroom or export/save for web in Photoshop, choose sRGB, and (in Photoshop) check Embed profile.

As for large Tiff files, use the PSB format for files larger that 4 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Berntsen wrote:

As for large Tiff files, use the PSB format for files larger that 4 GB.

PSB file format is not supported by LR so the PS edited file will not appear inside LR. Two things you can do to reduce the TIFF file size inside PS:

1) Use ZIP Image and Layer Compression Options with File> 'Save As:'

2) Merge layers that don't need to be re-edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner,

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 14.36.20.png

Thank you.

Hypothetically speaking, what if a file still exceeds the max after compression? What would my workflow be like then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not use sRGB for external editing, it has the smallest color gamut of the color spaces you can choose.

Use Adobe RGB or ProPhoto, which has the larges color gamut of all.

ProPhoto should not be used for final output, use sRGB for web images, Adobe RGB can be used for printing, provided that the printing service you use supports it. If you do your own printing, using Adobe RGB may give you better results than sRGB.

See also sRGB vs. ProPhoto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McFlydoubleG wrote:

trshaner,

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 14.36.20.png

Thank you.

Hypothetically speaking, what if a file still exceeds the max after compression? What would my workflow be like then?

You can use JPEG Image Compression with TIFF file format, but you must change the Mode to 8bit. This is better than using JPEG file format because it supports layers. Dropping to 8bit color depth shouldn't cause any issues as long as you don't plan on doing any further major Tone or Color editing to the file. I would also suggest converting the file to Adobe RGB color profile before saving.  Squeezing a ProPhoto RGB profile image into an 8bit container opens the possibility for banding or posterization. The smaller gamut of Adobe RGB will reduce that likelihood.

EDIT: If you don't intend ton editing the TIFF file further a JPEG Quality setting of 10 should be fine, otherwise use the maximum 12. There is an issue with PS TIFF JPEG Image Compression that causes softening of image detail with any setting below the Maximum 12. That still provides a significantly smaller image file of very high quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per,

These are now my current settings:

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 17.37.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McFlydoubleG wrote:

LR version 2015.8

PS version 2017.0.1

macOs Sierra version 10.12.2

1. What are the ideal settings in External Editing in general and if it concerns internet publishing in particular?

The 2 things you are asking about have nothing in common. External editing and Internet publishing are 2 totally different things.

I certainly hope you aren't posting 4GB files to the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. When I'm finished editing in PS (and saved it), I export the finished project from LR as a JPEG with quality set between 80 and 100. File size is limited to 100 K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines