• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for tested best disc configuration settings and other things for adobe premiere/effects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice from adobe premiere and after effects users who can give me some tips and answers from experience.  I'm a newbie that just built my first pc and I want take advantage of my system as best as I can. I know there's a page about improving performance but its kind of hard for me to comprehend the way its written so I need it broken down in simpler direct terms.

Asus x99-AII motherboard

I7-6800k cpu

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 Turbo graphics card

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 2400 Ram

Corsair 750 80 plus gold psu

Nocturna dh15 air cooler

850 EVO 500GB SSD

960 EVO 500GB M.2

WD 1TB 7200 RPM

I do plan on overclocking but not just yet, but when I do should I overclock my RAM and Graphics card as well along with the CPU? And any tips on overclocking when tweaking the numbers?

What would be the best disc configuration for my set up? Right now I have the 850 EVO SSD as my C drive for my OS and programs, 960 EVO M.2 for my source files, and WD as my storage for storing non active video files.

Where should I save the following?

Scratch disc-

Media Cache-

Disc Cache-

Auto Save-

Page file-

Footage source files-

Project Files-

and anything else I'm missing because I'm sure I am. And also adobe says I should Increase my page file windows virtual memory by double my RAM so I'm guessing 32000 MB but what should I select as the minimum amount?

Any advice on rending with OpenGL? Does it really help. It says to not use if using Global performance Cache I believe. If that's the case which one would probably suit me best?

Any advice on setting up the other settings in preferences?

Advice or tips on anything else I didn't list would be appreciated too.

So much to learn and master and I love the challenge but I can't wait to just tell the stories I want to tell, so Thanks to anyone taking the time help a fellow DIY filmmaker!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also let me know your experience of actually testing settings out and what your trial and errors showed you! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have ONLY OS,programs, Windows page file, and "media cache", and "cache" files from PPro on the boot drive.

ALL ELSE, ( media, project files, previews,exports, AE " global performance cache" ), goes on the 960 EVO NVMe drive which has WICKED fast performance.

1TB WD drive should only be for backup of important media , project files and archiving....though,1 TB appears to be a little small by today's standards. You are correct that no ACTIVE files for editing be on this drive...it is TOO SLOW !

Overclocking the CPU safely to 4.3 Ghz or over will provide a good performance boost.

Next, using a free program like " MSI Afterburner",or, similar, to over clock the GPU's " memory clock" ONLY can provide another performance boost anywhere that the GPU is active.

If PC sluggish on scrubbing the timeline after these tweaks, then you may need to trans code clips to cineform,or, another " edit friendly" codec like DNxHD. With your machine you should not have this problem at all with any 1080p material and only some 4K which may be loaded with effects,or, that is a difficult codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That will be a nice computer. I would add that indeed 1TB for all media, will get maxed out quickly in my experience. My current set up has all WD Black 7200 rpm drives and works fine, 1TB just for audio, 1TB for images and videos which is very weak but I will be replacing it with 6TB WD Black in a new build soon. I offload a lot to my backup drives in the meantime. I use a 2TB for renders and ISO files, 2TB for project files, menus, other odds and ends. My OS and apps are on a WD Velociraptor 300GB. I am building a new computer in the next year as this is all getting rather old. This set up has been good for the last few years but is clearly a dinosaur. However, I can still burn beautiful HD Blu-Ray discs (90 of em' so far) that upscale well to 4k OLED screen. The next build will include a 1TB SSD for OS, apps and a  1TB 960 EVO NVMe drive being discussed here in the same way. I'll keep my legacy drives until they drop. Everything is backed up to a 24 TB QNAP NAS (twice). While sluggish at times I've burned over 130 DVDs as well as the above mention BDRs. Look forward to sharing the build with other PP NLE aficionados as I enter the world of 4K. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JFPhoton has covered it well.  If you want to test your system hardware and setup you can use my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and compare to others or post the Output.csv here an I will try to comment.

I can very simply and safely overclock my GTX 1060 to (GPU-Z readings) Memory Clock 2400 MHz.  The first tab says 2500 MHz but any CUDA application like Premiere will show an actual 2400 MHz on the sensors tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines