• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom performance iMac SSD internal or external?

Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I have a 5k iMac running lightroom (I'm aware people have performance complaints). I have a fusion drive but my images are stored on a Lacie Rugged thunderbolt drive. The only performance issue I really have is the "loading" screen message in library and develop modes. I was considering upgrading my internal drive to an SSD but seeing as my images are on an external drive would it help much? I could test on my MacBook pro which has an internal SSD, but seeing its screen is half the resolution Im not sure it would be a solid comparison.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Many people report performance issues with 5K Macs, but putting photos on an SSD will not help with loading delays. Putting the catalog file on an SSD ​might​ help, but the real problem is the CPU isn't fast enough to drive a 5K screen through Lightroom, the calculations required take long enough to cause this delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many people report performance issues with 5K Macs, but putting photos on an SSD will not help with loading delays. Putting the catalog file on an SSD ​might​ help, but the real problem is the CPU isn't fast enough to drive a 5K screen through Lightroom, the calculations required take long enough to cause this delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines