• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Translucent Light Beams in AE?

Participant ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an effect in AE where I can simulate some light beams that would, preferably, flicker a little?

See the image below.

Easy effect, or is it a lengthy process? Thanks!

9515_luxury_prison_by_iMoo_pupuDesign-1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

I think I would try the Beam effect.  You can animate the various properties with a wiggle expression.  If the beams are on their own layer, you can use the Add blend mode to get the look in your picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I would try the Beam effect.  You can animate the various properties with a wiggle expression.  If the beams are on their own layer, you can use the Add blend mode to get the look in your picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this a bunch of ways. A simple shape layer with a blur and fractal noise and a blend mode would be very effective. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then let us know. Blend modes, animation and transparency are the key to recreating this effect. You'll also get more controllable and realistic effects if you set the project to 32Bit in the Project Panel.

You can also use beams or a combination of beams. If you want to put more than one Effect>Generate>Beam on a single layer you just set the other copies to composite on original then put your footage below. Here I've also added fractal noise and shown you all of the modified properties.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 7.59.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I think the Beam effect will give me what I need, but I may also want to try your Fractal Noise suggestion. I will try to play around with it some more, and look at the settings in your illustration. (When I tried to apply Fractal Noise to my beam, it turned grey.) Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fractal noise is always black and white but you can use the blend mode in the Effect to use the luminance values to effect colors.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 5.39.19 AM.png

The screenshot was grabbed after I pressed the u key twice to reveal all modified properties so that you could easily see everything that I changed. uu is a great troubleshooting tool. You should get in the habit of using it often. I'll bet I use the shortcut about 100 times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could also look into the (free) Saber effect from Video Copilot. It's kind of like the Beam effect with fractal noise built in, but with more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines