• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR6 stripping caption information when using 'Limit file size' on export. What to do?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just submitted images to a news wire service and although I did a ton of captioning in Lightroom 6 the files arrives without any information attached.

They asked if I had used 'Limit File Size' on export.

I had.

I used Limit File Size to 1999k

They said Limit File Size strips all caption information.

Is this correct and if so how do I work around it? Ideally without needing to purchase Photo Mechanic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you have the right metadata settings at Export? Exactly what metadata settings do you have selected? Show us a screen capture!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea thanks! However I sent the photos out two days ago. I have since changed some of the export information. I will take a look and see what's set right now, however it may not be the same.

What settings should I have selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dropdown menu should be set to All.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again...okay I see right now I have  ALL METADATA selected but the boxes REMOVE PERSON INFO AND REMOVE LOCATION INFO are checked.

Would that have removed all captioning?

Evidently I need to uncheck those boxes. (rolling eyes emoji)

So does that mean that Limit File Size does NOT strip caption information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does that mean that Limit File Size does NOT strip caption information?

I have not investigated this, you are fully in a position to investigate this, but honestly I think that the idea that the file size limitation will remove metadata is either a bug, or nonsense, probably the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige not sure if you saw my reply. I sent it at the same time you sent yours.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction. Duh. Embarrassing...

Just to repeat in case you missed my last message...

I do have it set to ALL but the boxes REMOVE PERSON INFO AND REMOVE LOCATION INFO are checked.

Would that have stripped all caption information?

Have you ever heard it mentioned that Limit File Size strips caption information? You may have just saved me $150 if I don't need to purchase Photo Mechanic Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vandanacathy wrote:

Would that have stripped all caption information?

Why don't you try it and tell us. I just did using LR CC 2015.8 and the Caption data is NOT deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it with the boxes checked as well as unchecked and don't see a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to delete this post. I don't want to spread false information and I believe that what I was told is false so moderators feel free to delete this! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The post is useful since clearly there is a problem somewhere. I suggest contacting your news wire service and letting them know it has been confirmed the IPTC Caption data is NOT removed during LR Export with 'Limit File Size' selected. Have them explain what specific IPTC or EXIF data field(s) are missing.and have them send you a copy of a file with this issue. We can then investigate further as to what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines