Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tabs in paragraph palette not working

Participant ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Anyone else experiencing this problem...

When I click a field in the Paragraph formatting palette, it often starts out highlighting in grey, or not at all, and typing a number just erases the text I have highlighted... i.e. it does not accept the input into the field I have highlighted.

This was a problem on my old MacBookPro late 2011 with OS 10.11 and remains a problem with a newer version of InDesign on my brand new MacBookPro Late 2016. This was NOT a problem prior to about September or October of last year.

This shows what happens when I click and drag over the first number - it turns grey, not blue. So it is not active and cannot be typed into.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 3.26.06 PM.png

This show what happens when I try to type something, either the highlighted text disappears or the cursor in the field goes to the end of the number - BUT STILL DOES NOT ACCEPT AN INPUT.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 3.26.27 PM.png

So I have to go to the next field and double-click - sometimes it highlights, sometimes it does not. But this is what the first field should look like - highlighted in blue to accept an input over the existing data.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 3.26.35 PM.png

Tabbing from a field that is highlighted in blue allows input in the next field, but now I have to cycle through all of the fields in order to get back to the first field to input something.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 3.26.53 PM.png

And back again to highlight it manually - it's grey again - and DOES NOT ACCEPT ANY INPUT.

I truly believe the quality of the programming of Adobe products has hit an all-time low.

This is adding too much time to my production and is a completely unnecessary impediment.

Really hoping someone can shed some light on this and get this fixed once and for all.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

What happens if you click in the paragraph instead of unnecessarily selecting every character?

Does the Control panel work?

Does the Left Indent slider in the Tabs panel work?

What is the exact version (build) of InDesign that you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Steve,

Deleting the preferences appears to have helped.

However, still wondering how this jumped from my old MacBookPro to my new MacBookPro - I did not do a user migration - I started my new toy off with a clean install of everything and the problem persisted.

Jane-e - it did not matter how I highlighted the text or how much of it I selected - the field would not cooperate.

I am using the latest install available from Adobe CC - i.e. no updates are showing.

Steve appears to have helped with this one - have struggled with this since last fall - glad to see it may be behind me.

Thanks!

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines