• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Photos Missing Names/People

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help importing a LR catalog/folder from an external hard drive into my desktop computer (Mac Pro). The first time, I imported the images,it worked, but I discovered that none of the data (face/names) copied over. Several months ago, I had this same issue. I spoke to an Adobe technical rep and they walked me through the process. I took notes, but as we were going through the process, there were several points where the instructions changed or we had to go back to undo a setting. By the time we got through it all, my notes didn't make sense - thus finding myself in the same (confused) place.

(1) All of the photos are on an external hard drive. I created the project while using a laptop, and placed and worked from the hard drive.

(2) I want to import all of the photos into a current Catalog (desktop). I want the Folder to appear exactly the same as on the laptop (edits, names, keywords, people).

(3) Could someone please provide step-by-step instructions?

(4) System Specifications: Lightroom (2015.7) & Apple Yosemite (10.10.5)

NOTE: I did see a tutorial on how to merge Catalogs, but I'm not sure if this is the best method. If this proves to be the way to go, I've already performed a  <File, Export as Catalog> and selected the boxes for Export Negative Files & Include Available Previews. This is also on an external hard drive.

Thank you for your assistance.

R

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

rafaeld40474899 wrote:

(1) Copied the photos (including Irdata & Ircat) to desktop hard drive.

Now here's the strange part. Even though I pointed to the photos on the desktop hard drive, it referenced the external hard drive. I only realized this when I disconnected the external HD. It was an easy fix as I pointed it to the correct location.

The culprit seems to be point 1 and absolute paths. When merging my mobile DB with my Lightroom-DB on my workstation, I "import from another catalog"! That let

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it appears exporting it as a Catalog was the way to go. Here are the steps I performed.

(2) Performed <File, Export as Catalog>

(3) Merged the new Catalog with an existing Catalog (did not move files since they are already where I want them to be).

Now here's the strange part. Even though I pointed to the photos on the desktop hard drive, it referenced the external hard drive. I only realized this when I disconnected the external HD. It was an easy fix as I pointed it to the correct location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rafaeld40474899 wrote:

The culprit seems to be point 1 and absolute paths. When merging my mobile DB with my Lightroom-DB on my workstation, I "import from another catalog"! That lets me copy the pictures to my Workstation and exclude duplicates.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines