• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects video quality different when uploaded to YouTube?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I am relatively new to video editing, especially on After Effects, and I'm having an issue.

I uploaded a video to YouTube a few days ago, and the quality is great, I'll link the video I'm happy with below this:

Best D.Va - YouTube

But I come to upload another today (with the same render settings) and the quality is no where near as good? I'll link the one I'm having issues with below too:

Symmetra OP - YouTube

Could someone explain what I could be doing wrong/how I can change something? I'm becoming very passionate about video editing and want it to be the best it can.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

First, you should be using the YouTube presets that match your frame size in the Adobe Media Encoder. If you are doing something else, especially as a beginner, you are making a mistake.

Second, YouTube recompresses all video and delivers it up at various data rates based on the available bandwidth. Sometimes it takes a while to run all of the compression so that HD is available. You can help the re-compression along by using the AME presets. When you gain an understanding of compression and data

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you should be using the YouTube presets that match your frame size in the Adobe Media Encoder. If you are doing something else, especially as a beginner, you are making a mistake.

Second, YouTube recompresses all video and delivers it up at various data rates based on the available bandwidth. Sometimes it takes a while to run all of the compression so that HD is available. You can help the re-compression along by using the AME presets. When you gain an understanding of compression and data rates you can even slightly modify the presets. The only thing I would consider changing would be the compression from single pass to multi pass. This will help with compression artifacts. All other changes must be in compliance with the YouTube (or Vimeo) recommendations to avoid the possibility of their automatic system just smashing the heck out of your video.

So, the long and short of it is, use the pre-sets and wait for a few minutes to to several minutes for YouTube to fully process your video. There are no streaming services that do not re-compress your footage. Vimeo does the best job of keeping the original quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your input. About the compression, how do I change it from single to multi pass? I'm presuming it's in the media encoder part?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you choose a YouTube preset it automatically sets your encoding passes. you can also change it to 2 pass. experiment and see which gives you the best results

if encoding is super important for you, then I would suggest you also look into other options like Handbrake which is a free x.264 encoder (can give better results than AME) and if you really mean business try http://www.x264pro.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best bitrate to use?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the default.

If you really want to monkey with the bit rate check out the YouTube recommendations for your frame size an frame rate to see if they have changed. The pre-sets work just fine for 99.999999% of all videos, changing to 2 Pass helps reduce color artifacts, but this has nothing to do with apparent sharpness in the luminance channel which is where your eyes get the detail info.

Once again, if you are way off in your bit rate then YouTube will simply apply a sledge hammer to your video. Following the presets will give you a suitable product that is about as good as you can get using a streaming service. All streaming services, including broadcast TV and Cable, and even the digital projectors in your local cinema are a compromise. All degrade the image at least a bit. There's nothing you can do about that but follow their recommendations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines