• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert tiff to jpeg 2000 – but not if layered

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to Batch process tiff files and convert them to JPEG 2000 to save space when archiving. However, some of the tiffs are layered and I want to keep the layers, so those particular files have to be skipped – not converted – because JPEG 2000 does not support layers.

Any suggestions how I can do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

TIFF PSD and PSB all have compression options.  I've never tested to compare, but it would take you long.

[EDIT]  I have just remembered the solid colour trick to reduce file size.  You don't actually need a Solid Colour layer as such.  A normal layer filled with any single colour does the the trick.  I imagine by reducing the size of the embedded JPG.  I am thinking of a PSD here, although I don't know if TIFF files also contain an embedded JPG.

If you have anything that strays outside image boun

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a format that supports layers, which is tiff or psd. There may be a few more like pdf, but those are the main two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF PSD and PSB all have compression options.  I've never tested to compare, but it would take you long.

[EDIT]  I have just remembered the solid colour trick to reduce file size.  You don't actually need a Solid Colour layer as such.  A normal layer filled with any single colour does the the trick.  I imagine by reducing the size of the embedded JPG.  I am thinking of a PSD here, although I don't know if TIFF files also contain an embedded JPG.

If you have anything that strays outside image boundary, set crop to Delete Hidden pixels > nudge a corner handle to make the crop active, and OK it.  I guess you could save the space of a few Alpha Channels by 'Applying' any Layer masks.  I can't think of anything else that would reduce file size without impacting on being able to later edit the PSD file.  Unfortunately, some of this does not lend itself to batch processing.

Is additional storage space not an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out that in CS6 you can't batch convert to lossless jpeg 2000 because of a bug in PS.

Batch to lossless JPEG-2000

Just wondering if this bug still exists in the latest versions of PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found this on Wikipedia.

You will need to click on the photo in the forum to get a larger view (original 1600x480)

Look at the wall detail of the diagonal building in the original on the left and compare with all the other formats.

This may be pixel peeping and it still doesn't solve your issue regarding batching converting files while ignoring layered files.

As Trevor pointing out.  Buying an external drive for archival storage would probably be the best bet. External storage is very affordable these days.

Comparison_between_JPEG,_JPEG_2000_and_JPEG_XR.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines