Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manually Change Footnote Numbering

Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a document with multiple stories on a spread. i would like some of the footnotes to be numbered consecutively. I know that InDesign won't flow the numbers from one story to another, but is there any way to manually change the numbers? I would only have to do this one or two times.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the controls in Footnote Options work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The controls work, they just didn't help in that case. The footnotes stayed the same. The only way I was able to achieve the consecutive numbering was by threading the text boxes - something that I had been trying to avoid, but, oh, well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Imho, the true question could be: What is the footnote numbering?

Real footnotes into unthreaded text frames simple to update! …

Capture d’écran 2017-01-12 à 00.17.34.png

… if, e.g., we change the first number from 5 to 8!

Capture d’écran 2017-01-12 à 00.20.51.png

(^/)  Just for fun!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Obi

Can you explain the trick?

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that Obi-wan wants to be a digital magician, but it's not helpful for the person who asked the question because he doesn't like to explain how he did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny,

Obi-wan is a very clever guy and definitely has pushed ID into doing something that ordinarily can't be done.

I tried, this morning, to replicate his solution so I could share it with you. (Something Obi-wan doesn't do much.)

I'm sorry if you're as frustrated as I am with this nonsense. And I'm VERY frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha french arrogance... I know that

Of course I'd be glad you share your solution Sandee.

I am now twice frustrated because you didn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I was unable to replicate his solution, so I COULDN'T show you how he did it.

And his answer below STILL doesn't show it.

I'm sorry that an ACP should be that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't say I don't give Answers!

Sandee, you're on Adobe forums since ten years and, proportionally, I've given 10 times more good answers than you for only 3 years of presence! [and I don't count my good answers not indicated as correct!]

2nd point: My present answer was just a quick test that lets me think RaizelDesign's question could be fixed! … The op doesn't seem to be interested because no comment! …

3rd point: If you have an answer, show it to us! … by curiosity!

Last point: Thanks for your first comment! But I don't need it and don't play for this! I only want to learn Adobe users to be really more curious!

Bwaaaah! …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see how you did this. It is a great mystery!!

I thought perhaps you did it with paragraph numbering. But you would have to remove the original footnote number, and I do not see any way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbered lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vamitul,

Care to elaborate? This isn't a game of twenty questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry:

Apply a numbered list to the footnote paragraph, and a "hidden" (no fill, 0.1pt) character style to the footnote marker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vamitul: Yes, I had the same thought, but… how do you apply a character style to the footnote marker? OH! A nested style will do it!

Yes, that makes sense. (I was looking through the Type > Document Footnote Options dialog box for a method of applying a character style to the footnote character to make it disappear… it is not there… but a nested style will do it easily.)

So you apply automatic numbering and a nested style… the auto numbers "replace" the normal footnotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting but...

how do yo change the footnote reference marker?

As far as I know, as soon as you modify it, related footnote is deleted.

Besides, the idea is to keep the all thing flowing, not manually change every fn reference marker (assuming it is possible).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't have the time to go into it. I trusted Vamitul.

Sorry I didn't get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed the list always restarts in each footnote. I was so convinced that would work that I did not actually tested .

I can get the effect Obi-wan created (and more) via scripting, but I'm honestly at lost on how it can be achieved without:

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 7.28.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just use Cross-references and you could do it basically …

But do it manually! … I'm not sure it's the answer everybody expects!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do explain more, please. How do you control the numbering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vlad,

Here, It's a funny game because the text frames are unthreaded!

That's why each first "true" footnote [Automatic footnote call and footnote] begins to "1"!

So, we need to "think different" and play in another way!

What I'm going to explain can be done easily by the op. Manually!

… But a script will do it in 1 click!

The deal is to have a continuous numbering of the footnotes even if the text frames aren't threaded!

[To do it, the script will need a chronological order of the frames! Not the op!]

That's the scenario I've imagined for a script!

About the Footnote call:

The op searches each footnote call and inserts after* it a small anchor text box [placed as "superscript" (para style, auto-resizing text frame) –– para style and object style to be defined by the user (or the script)]. (* I use a script to do it because I prefer it "after" but this could be played "before"!)

The insertion of this anchored text frame triggers a grep style that will automatically "make invisible" the footnote call!

Capture d’écran 2017-01-24 à 21.35.30.png

Capture d’écran 2017-01-24 à 21.35.42.png

Easy to plan with a simple grep F/R [search: .(?=~F)  Replace by: $0~C]

With that code, the anchoring will be "before"!

About the Footnote:

A similar way: a grep style will be triggered by the insertion of the cross-reference [including into its format a "non-joiner"!] to our "false" footnote call to make invisible the real footnote numbering!

Capture d’écran 2017-01-24 à 21.36.10.png

Capture d’écran 2017-01-24 à 21.36.27.png

About the Cross-reference:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-24 à 21.36.48.png

About the Footnote call numbering:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-24 à 21.49.21.png

How does it work?

The op will have to change the numbers manually! … But a script does it simply counting the footnotes when it'll create the text frames and insert the numbering into them! Just inserting in the text frame the incrementation defined by the number of footnotes: Fn 1 (= First Fn = 0) => 1, Fn 2 (= second Fn = 1) => 2, …

When done, we'll have this [after generation, I've chosen to begin the numbering to "5", for test]:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-12 à 00.17.34.png

… if, as I said in post@3 two weeks ago without interesting somebody, if you want to update the numbering, changing the first footnote number from "5" to "8", as:

Capture d’écran 2017-01-12 à 00.20.51.png

… you'll do it simply with this code:

/*

Script written by Michel Allio [2017/01/12]

see: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2261885

*/

app.doScript("main()", ScriptLanguage.javascript, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Update Footnotes! …");

function main()    

{

var myDoc = app.activeDocument,

myParaStyle = "Num",

myValue = +3;

app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "\\d+$";

app.findGrepPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = myParaStyle;

myDoc.findGrep();

myFound = myDoc.findGrep();

var F = myFound.length;

for ( var f = 0 ; f < F ; f++) myFound.contents = String(Number(myFound.contents) + myValue);  

myDoc.updateCrossReferences();

app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null;

}

Edit the script with ESTK, just change "myValue" number [line 14 ; actually: "+3"] and launch the script!

For fun, you could play negative number!

The 2 first parts of the script [text frames creation + cross-references creation] has been written in another contexts. To be adapted if time … and less annoyed!

Script 1 (adaptation) written 15/01/2017: How can I make a new text frame for selected text?

Script 2 written 07/08/2016: Cross-reference paragraph number! …

(^/)

Just for fun!  Dropbox - Test_ID-Files.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. That seems pretty complex. If we're going down the route of using scripts, I would probably choose one of Peter K's:

Footnotes in columns | Peter Kahrel

Convert footnotes to endnotes | Peter Kahrel

Hm…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The theory behind this is quite intriguing. And, to one-up it:

• for the fake footnote reference number (the one in the anchored frame) you can set up a numbered paragraph style with a global list. Then, instead of inserting the actual footnote number, you can just add a 0-width space.
  • for the crossreference, instead of using the <fullPara> format, use <paraNumber> and suddenly you have dynamic numbered paragraphs that don't require any script.

At the end of the day I still feel it is a overly complex setup, so unless you have to update the numbers many times over, just changing them by hand would be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I've imagined this process, I've not seen a real interest to have an auto-numbering! In this case:

• no real interest: as unthreaded blocks, the numbering will start anyway at 1 in each block;

• need to add something else [for you, a 0-wish space] in the block to trigger the auto-numbering;

• If I need to play with such a layout, I know I'll use personally a script!

When you read the code I posted, Its idea is simplistic! … So, personally, why more?

I've never said it was the better way to play this kind of situation! Using threaded text frames would be much so simple: nothing else to do than playing with "standard" footnotes!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh... Thanks? But the reason I haven't checked back on this question is that it was way faster (and easier) to thread the stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines