• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign -- no selection dot in the Layers panel?

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Layers panel there used to be a little dot/window/square/thingy on the right side in any object's row that would be highlighted when the object was selected. You could select the object, in fact, by clicking on that dot. This is how you could quickly select the object if it were buried beneath a bunch of other stuff. On the other hand, if you didn't know the name of a particular object, you could select it in the document, and its little dot would light up in the Layers panel so you could identify it.

I'm not seeing this in my InDesign anymore (see attached). I'm using CC 2017. Can someone tell me if this is on purpose for some reason, or is my copy of InDesign just gone screwy?

Thanks ahead for the help.

Rob

layersPanel.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve.

Now I have to decide whether losing my various custom settings will be worth getting those selection dots back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Write your custom settings down (or make screenshots), loose it once (by restoring defaults), then tune it again, close InDesign, backup 'InDesign Defaults' file to some safe location.

In case of future emergency just copy manually from backup your 'custom and working' version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I do this, can anyone tell me where the file for Keyboard Shortcuts is stored, so I can back it up? The shortcuts are the most frustrating thing to lose, and take the longest to set back up. Would also be nice if I didn't need to reset my default object styles and color swatches, but I have fewer of those, and it won't take me so long.

It's this that's making me hesitate before resetting permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, it's <Username> Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version [version #] > en_US > InDesign Shortcut Sets.

I don't know the Windows path.

You'll have to use one of the Mac methods to make the user library visible in recent macOS versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Steve. I'm on a Mac, and have unhidden my Library, so this is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows - next to the InDesign Defaults file:

Users > [username] > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > InDesign > Version [version #] > en_US [or what is your locale] > InDesign Shortcut Sets.

AppData folder is hidden by default, you may need to unhide it. Also check locale folder for other custom settings you may want to backup, like your custom Workspace, Document, Preflight, Print and other Presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines